Chapter 5: To Top a Totem

It's currently morning. Ash, Cloud, and the Pokemon are currently having breakfast. Then Ash spoke up about the Island Trials.

Kukui: Z-Crystals, huh?

Ash: I want to become much, much stronger and battle Tapu Koko as well!

Cloud pulls out his Sparkling Stone.

Cloud: I've been meaning to ask 'bout this as well. I need to get stronger so I can even the score with Tapu Lele.

Kukui: You both seem fired up as a Blast Burn, aren't you?

Cloud: Are Trials the only way to acquire Z-Crystals?

Kukui: There are several ways to get Z-Crystals, but the best way is go to the Island Trials and pass the Grand Trials issued by the Island Kahunas.

Ash: And how can we pass those?

Rotom Dex: Leave it to me! "Grand Trials" are Pokemon battles against the Island Kahunas. If you win those battles, you will be acknowledged as having passed.

Ash: Oh! That sounds fun!

Cloud: So all we hafta do is defeat these Kahunas in battle? Seems simple enough.

Kukui: "Fun"? "Simple"? You both understand you'll be battling Island Kahunas, right? Underestimating them will cost you dearly.

Cloud: So there are four islands, and each have their own Kahuna, right? Then that would make them Alola's equivalent of the Elite 4.

Kukui: Not only that, but-

Rotom Dex: According to my data, it seems the only ones who can attempt Grand Trials are those who pass the earlier Trials they're given.

Ash: Trials and Grand Trials, huh?

Kukui: Either way, Cloud one of these days, I guess we should go see Hala, the Island Kahuna of Melemele Island. He should be able to make you a Z-Ring using that Sparkling Stone you found.

Cloud: Can't wait.

Ash: Yeah!

(Timeskip)

After leaving the house, Cloud, Ash and Kukui all left to see Hala, but they were all met by an incident on the road.

Cloud: What's going on?

Rotom: It's the scene of an accident.

The three of them looked over and saw Officer Jenny giving instructions to people.

Officer Jenny: Everyone, this road will be closed to the traffic until the lumber is removed! Please take a detour down some other road.

Kukui: What's going on, Officer Jenny?

Officer Jenny: Professor Kukui? A pack of wild Rattata and Raticate were laying waste on a field. And they ran straight into the road as they were escaping, causing this to happen.

Ash: Rattata and Raticate did that?

Cloud: That seems like a lot of damage for a pack of Rattata and Raticate.

Officer Jenny then looked over, noticing Ash and Cloud.

Officer Jenny: Are you both students from the Pokemon School?

Ash: Yeah. My name is Ash. And this is my partner, Pikachu.

Pikachu: Pika!

Cloud: I'm Cloud. And this is my partner, Eevee.

Eevee: Eievui.

Rotom Dex: Good Rotomorning.

Officer Jenny: Officer Jenny. Nice to meet you both. You know, I'm a Pokemon School alumna as well.