Ritual

"Too long have we gone on like this, sharing in this act with nothing to show for it. It is time I claimed you properly."

Quick note: this chapter contains a little blood play and breeding kink. they're not recurring themes. Just wanted to let you know in case these are ones you want to avoid.

-x-

Eve stretched out by the fire, jotting down bullet points for proposed tweaks to her Tactical and Ultimate. Each season, the Legends were allowed to suggest small changes that they thought could improve the matches. It could include improving their gear, new gun attachments, or reducing other Legends' abilities. Even though her permanent spot wasn't assured yet, she was getting a head start on her submission and trying to build confidence by imagining that she had won. She was full of ideas, her notebook already overflowing with her observations from each match.

Bloodhound watched her from the bedroom, dabbing their hair dry with a towel, hesitating before approaching her. They quietly touched her shoulder in order not to startle her.

Eve looked up immediately and gave them a brilliant smile. "Hi, Hound." Her expression dropped slightly as she studied their face, sensing an unasked question. "What is it?"

" Ég þarf smá hjálp," they mumbled. They scratched the back of their neck and looked away.

Eve sat up and faced them fully. "What is it? If I can help, I will."

Bloodhound laughed nervously. They had been waiting all day to ask her, mustering up the courage. All during their shower, they had thought of what words they might say, how they would broach the subject to her. Right now, she looked at them so earnestly, so willing to assist even though she knew not what they would ask. The trust in her blue gaze shone through, offering herself to them — they knew they could ask.

"It may sound strange, but I need you, well, your blóð. "

Eve blinked at them, but did not immediately refuse — she was curious. "My blood?"

"I wish to perform a ritual, a sacrifice to properly thank the gods for the bounty this forest has provided us." Their green eyes settled on hers evenly, gauging her response. "I believe that this may be what is required of me."

Her eyes widened and her eyebrows raised. The only thing she had ever read about religious sacrifice involved the slaughter of lambs, goats, or other small animals, and she recalled the graphic images spread across the webpage during an online search long ago, clicking one link to the next down a rabbit hole of topics. "S-Sacrifice? I don't know..."

Bloodhound mumbled in their language again, too quiet for her to hear. Their eyes searched the ceiling as if looking for the answer there. "Perhaps that is not the right term — ah, offering? Just a tiny cut is what would be needed." They traced their finger along her forearm, showing what they intended. "Like so."

She swallowed, relieved, but shuddered at the touch of their calloused fingertip against the soft skin of her forearm. "If that's all, then...I'll help you. As long as you'll let me know what you're doing ahead of time and tell me what I need to do. I don't want to offend the gods or you."

"You will not, my sweet. Can we do this tonight? There will be a blóðtungl ." They looked away again. "I am sorry that I did not ask you sooner," Their cheeks reddened, a rare display of their self-consciousness. "I was afraid you might think it barbaric."

Eve rose to wrap her arms around them, arms contacting the wet strands of their hair that lay down their back, dampening their T-shirt. "I don't. I might not understand it, but if it's important to you, I'll respect it and do my best. What do I need to do?"