chapter thirty three

'Batch 47'

'Batch 47'

"How's she doing?" Delilah asked as she walked back into the shabby shed, sitting In between Doc and Roberta, her eyes looking at the young girl who slept, no worries at all seemed to crease her face, like the apocalypse wasn't even a thing to her, just some made up horror film.

"She's burning up, I can't keep her fever down." The young girl's mother said, her hand gently placed on the girls forehead, "Have you tried antibiotics?" Doc questioned, his dirty hands holding one another as he watched the mother and daughter with sorrowful eyes.

"Nothing worked. Drug resistant bacteria of some kind." The mother shrugged, "I don't think she has much longer." She sighed quietly, Delilah's jaw gently rested on the tip of Doc's shoulder, she watched as other harvester's walked past the shed, "Is that why you became a harvester?" Roberta asked, her finger softly trailing circles on Delilah's palm, something that smoothed the nineteen year old.

"I had to mercy her father in front of her after he turned z. She made me promise not to let that happen to her." The blonde spoke, Addy's hand gently rubbed her shoulder as she glanced at Delilah, "You're a good mom."

Something they wished their mom was.

"That's the funny thing, I'm not her mom. " Everyone looked at her, their brows furrowing in question yet the woman was all prepared.

"-Her mom's dead. Her whole family is dead. So is mine. All we have is each other an..and even not that for long." She said moving from her seat on her bed, standing up as she looked at the greenhouse not too far from where they all sat.

"All these folks need what's in that greenhouse." She said, Delilah nodded slowly, "Even if it kills them." She hummed, the brunette watched as her sister stood up, gently grabbing Delilah's hand, Addison walked over to a tractor, they weren't sure if it worked or not yet..it had a radio inside of it.

Delilah's head turned automatically at the sound of 10k's whistle, a small yet loud one he had created so everyone in the group knew something was going on, the two met eyes in an instant, a blush rising on their cheeks as they looked away.

Oh boy.