chapter thirty two

"Batch 47"

"You guys harvester's, here for the cure?" A man with shaggy blonde hair asked as the group pulled up at the fenced area, hoping this was where Murphy was.

"Yeah, that's right." Warren spoke as they gathered closer to the man, I stood close by, my hair flowing in the wind as it pushed a few strands past my nose, tickling it slightly, yet I didn't move it away.

Snapping out of my daze when I heard my sister snort, looking over I couldn't help but watch in confusion as to why Addy was smirking at 10k, "What was that about?" I asked quietly, 10k smiled as he looked down at me, his hand gently swiping my hair behind my ear, "He asked us if we were armed." 10k replied rolling his eyes sarcastically, making me laugh slightly.

"Well if he's anything like the last place, I've already got your slingshot hidden." I laughed slight when 10k looked at me confused, moving my hands up I made my shirt go tighter around my chest, the slight visible shape of the slingshot getting more clearer to the pair.

"You are something else Delilah." He smiled shaking his head.

Placing his hand on the dip of my back, 10k walked beside me as the man let us all inside their gated area, "Harvester's wait in the garage until you're called. The others inside will give you a rundown." He grumbled as he moved to start walking behind another one of the guards.

My nose scrunching in disgust at the sight of the workers wheeling a recently killed man away from us.

"You think Murphy's here?" Addy hummed to the group, a small tug of the elder sisters arm as I intertwined my arm with hers "He better be." I sighed leaning my head against Addy's shoulder.

Yet within a heartbeat a woman started to scream for help, vines twisted around her, like they were alive, a green z gripped to her foot, it's teeth scraping against one another in begs to tear into the woman's flesh.

The group ran not far behind me, my hands pulling on the vines, ripping them from the woman's body yet there was no use, they wouldn't budge. Vasquez from beside me shit a bullet through the garden gnome z's head, but it didn't die, making my eyes widen as they stared into the man's beside me in shock.

What the hell are these things.

Looking around scattered my breathing came out harder as I gripped at the woman's weapon that had been thrown to the ground when she was pulled down, beating down hard on the vines with this weapon, sweat building up on my forehead until green goo oozed from its head.

"What in the hell is it with these new variants?" Doc mumbled as the woman got up, her leg had been scratched and twisted during the process.

10k helped her stand, yet we didn't get far before the familiar shaggy haired man came running over again.

"Hey, I told you guys to go to the garage where it's safe." The man said, a grown on his face, just like before. "Safety first, huh?" Doc spoke, his voice annoyed as they man stepped closer, "You got a problem?" He asked, his Texan accent coming in thick as I watched his finger tips turn white from gripping his gun.

Stepping Infront of the man, a small sweet smile placed itself on to my lips as I pushed the man back slowly and gently, "No problem here sir, grandad here is just a little tired, nothing a good old nap can't fix." I smiled, putting on my best fake sweet smile.

The man nodded, a puff of air leaving his lungs as he looked at the rest of the group before he turned and walked away.

And so did the group, following 10k and the blonde lady to her shelter, I fell back into step with Warren who wrapped her arm around my shoulder "I love watching you do things like that Delilah, it reminds me of when I was younger." She smiled rubbing my shoulder, placing a kiss to my head.

Helping the blonde back into her home, Delilah watched as she whined and hissed in pain, leaning down next to Doc, Delilah smiled

"Think you guys have anything in there to help some of the bleeding?" Delilah asked, Doc searched through his bag before clicking his tongue against the roof of his mouth. Doc pulled out a small pink packet, opening it up Delilah watched as the lady's eyes widened in embarrassment, frowning she looked over Doc's shoulder and laughed slightly as he pressed the sanitary towel on her wound. "Not really what I was thinking Doc but it works."

Somehow in the midst of the silence, Delilah hadn't noticed the little girl asleep on the mattress next to her wounded mother. The pale girls eyes softened at the sight of her, her dirty skin and the way she gripped her teddy bear. "Mama?" The little girl mumbled as she sat up, her mothers arms wrapping around her instantly pulling her into a hug- "Hey, baby, hey. Mama's here. I came back to you, just like I promised." Delilah watched the pair, her heart squeezing just watching them converse with one another.

A ghost of a smile on her lips as she cleared her throat, standing up she didn't meet anyone's eyes as she walked away, barely taking in the time to notice that everyone in her group was watching her with soft eyes, wishing they could each show her the motherly love she had missed out on all these years.

—————————