Chapter Thirty

"Zombie Road"

"Zombie Road"

______________________

"I'm losing the will to live."

"I need you."

Delilah rolled her eyes, a small sad smile on her lips as she heard the boy whisper those words to her, placing a kiss to the side of her head he walked forward with the group listening in as the young girl trailed behind.

Her dagger flipping in between her fingers as she listened in on the conversation too. Stopping abruptly before she walked into Doc's back as the whole group stopped walking.

Lifting her head she glared at Murphy, if they hadn't been chasing after the undead human, Mack would have been alive, and for that, the relationship between Murphy and Delilah was going to suffer a great deal, no matter how much she liked the man as an uncle figure, he had ruined it by running.

"You are not the boss of me, she is." Murphy said as he looked at Warren who had pushed herself between the two, "Move it." She said calmly to the blue man, "Gladly." He replied with a sarcastic smile as they started to walk again, Delilah's hand softly holding the back of 10k's shirt as they walked.

Down from where they stood, a car burnt, it was fresh, as the flames lit it up. Looking at the undead Cassandra that sat above Murphy, she sat rubbing his shoulders like he was some sort of God to her.

That wasn't our Cassandra.

"What are we going to do about her?" Delilah spoke unsure of her words as she glanced over at the undead couple. "Cassandra?" Warren asked as she too glanced over at them.

"She's not Cassandra, not anymore." 10k said as he crossed his arms over his chest, "Maybe there's a way back for her, when we get to California." Roberta said looking at the two teens.

"Maybe."

Down from where they stood, they watched as a lorry drove down the dirt road, cars trailing behind it, it was covered in white spray paint, gates in the front of it so z's couldn't get trapped under the wheels.

"Is that some kind of post apocalyptic wagon train?" Doc asked a small hint of humour in his voice like always. "Well it ain't the 3:10 to Yuma." Roberta mumbled, looking at the long line of vehicles in confusion.

Guns started to fire as the truck got closer to the burning car, it turned inwards as the car following went behind it, "Don't get out the truck." Roberta spoke to herself, as if those people down there could hear her.

Delilah trailed behind Addy and Roberta, her gun in hand as they walked down the steep rocky hill, the group has discussed on whether they should save the people in the post apocalyptic wagon train, Vasquez deciding against as Roberta decided for it

A woman get what she wants.

So they all took their places, 10k and Vasquez took their places in the rocks, and the three women trailed behind themselves.

A quad came around the side of the lorry, where Roberta, Addy and Delilah stood waiting, turning first Addison hit the man with her bat, knocking him unconscious until Delilah put her foot on his chest shooting him through the eye hole of his helmet.

Then it seemed over, the ambush had finished, there was only two men, not much of an ambush really.

Walking around the side of the lorry, they gasped as they caught sight of sick, dying people in the back of the truck, they were pale, like ghosts just barely clinging in for life.

"I'll get this." Addy spoke as she placed her hand on Delilah's shoulder.

Walking away the two men came back to Delilah and Roberta as they looked up at the man who was definitely the leader.

"Keep on your toes people, they'll be back." He said as his gun pointed up in the air, "Sam Custer." He said placing his hand out to shake, "Roberta Warren." She responded, "Your timing is what we might call fortuitous." He said.

"Sometimes things work out " Warren spoke, Delilah was listening, but her eyes were wondering around to the other people walking around, seems like more people survived the apocalypse then thought.

Pulling her gun from her jeans she held it tightly in her hand as a man with a red jacket walked over, a grin on his lips as he looked at Warren, "Man, you are one badass lady. You...you...you were like...boom! Just...stone Coll kill-ah." He said with a small laugh pumping his first up in the air.

Delilah had put her gun back, a small ghost of a smile on her lips as she watched the man, as he walked away.

"We call him wrecking ball, he's my sister's boy. Cheese slid off that cracker a long time ago." He said as Delilah nodded, her stomach rumbling at the name of food.

"He fits in pretty well these days, though." Delilah said looking at Sam, who nodded with a smile.

"Peace, tranquility, and freezing temperatures." Sam said as he pulled out a piece of paper, it had snow on the card, something's z hate.

"Zombies hate the cold.." Delilah mumbled to Vasquez, who frowned slightly but nodded.

Walking away, Delilah made her way over to Doc and 10k, who sat on the edge of the truck, a woman asking if they wanted water, He smiled at the unknown lady, holding his cup up as he said his thank yous, she walked over quietly, running a hand through her greasy hair that was now long again, she hated that.

The numb feeling of her fingers, tried pulling her jacket closer to her, but it was no use, she was too weak to even give herself warmth, something that should be radiating from her body.

"Hey you don't look too good kid, gets some food down 'ya." Doc said as he walked over to the girl, her eyes looking down at the time can that had some sort of rice pudding inside of it, feeling her stomach churn she turned away into a bush, puking up whatever was inside of her.

A hand on her back softly rubbing in circles bought her from her haze, standing up she felt her legs wobble from under her as they collapsed from beneath her, 10k rushed to the girl, his arms wrapping around her waist as he sat on the floor, tapping at her cheek as he watched her eyes roll back into her head.

And with that darkness over took the frail, pale girl.

__________