Chapter thirteen

"Welcome to the Fu-Bar"

𝚆𝚎𝚕𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚝𝚘
𝗞𝗮𝗻𝘀𝗮𝘀.

The two young adults sat in the bed of the truck, their heads rested on each other as silence took over the truck, everyone was mourning the death of a great man, 10k's thumb circled on the back of Delilah's hand as they watched the road move further away from them off into the distance as Doc drove down the empty road.

The only sound being citizen z speaking through the radio as they entered Kansas.

"Good Morning, people. Welcome to the third day of the sixth month of the year 03 A.Z. If you're listening to this, it means you're still alive. So congratulations. Or condolences. You know, whatever. If you're noticing more despair in my voice than usual today, it's because we lost someone special. I know, we lose people all the time. Getting your face chewed off by a z is more common than making it to your next birthday. But this guy... This one's worth mentioning. "

"Charles Garnett, First Sergeant, Army National Guard Reservist, was an honest to god, real life, actual good guy

"Charles Garnett, First Sergeant, Army National Guard Reservist, was an honest to god, real life, actual good guy. He caught for other people, not just for his own survival. And he did something that's pretty much impossible these days. He gave people hope. Remember hope? Remember thinking we might actually come out on the other side of this thing? Yeah. That. Sergeant Garnett died trying to give us a reason to hope. And for that... Sergeant Charles Garnett. On behalf of a grateful nation, or whatever the hell we are now, we salute you. " Delilah looked at 10k as she smiled at the boy, resting her head back onto his shoulder as her fingers squeezed his, "He's such an emotional man." Delilah said as Ten nodded, "He's nice though, caring even for a group of people he hasn't met." She said as she looked through the small window that peered into the truck, her eyes falling to Warren who had finally been able to drift off to sleep.

That was until the truck started to smoke and the engine failed to start back up, the brunette watched as her sister and Mack came back from down the road, the two sat on a motorcycle the group had managed to find abandoned along side of a road, Delilah jumped from the back of the truck and walked over to Doc who had lifted the hood of the truck up, smoke piled out and the girl laughed "Hey Doc, that smoke blends in with your skin." She laughed as Addy pulled the girl away walking them both down the road away from the group.

"I've been having these daydream horror things." Addy blurted out as Delilah looked at her, "About what?" She asked, she watched as her sister bit her nails, before sighing heavily stopping in her tracks as she looked at Delilah, "About that night, after, after we went to the game." Delilah winced as she looked down at her feet, the night replied in her mind, "We did what we had to do, we couldn't of changed it." She spoke quietly as Addy pulled the younger sibling into a hug, "I'm sorry I bought it up, I just needed to get it out, it's driving me crazy" she spoke as teh two walked back to the broke truck, "You haven't told Mack?" Lilah asked watching as her sister shook her head, "You should, the man adores you." She said "He'd help, I've seen that he can calm you down in an instant." The brunette spoke as Addy nodded "Yeah.."

"we all got plain ol' present tense, all traumatic, all stress all the time." Murphy grumbled on as the sister walked back over, "Murphy let the woman rest, please." Delilah said as she nudged the man gently, his eyes looking back at her as he slowly nodded "Fine, fine." He said as he sat on the floor next to the truck.

"hey so..how do you do that?" Doc asks as he rests his arm around Delilah's shoulder, the girl laughed "Honestly I just never said anything bad to him" she responded as she patted Docs chest as Ten thousand tapped his hand on the floor "Delilah get under here with me quickly!" He said as the girl dropped the dagger that was in her hand and she made her way under looking at the machinery under the truck, "You called?" She smiled as Ten pointed at a small hole on one of the pipes, "Think you'd be alright to just press your finger on there for a few seconds?" He asked as Delilah nodded, her finger pressed firmly on the pipe "It might get a little hot in a second," he mumbled as he played with a few other things under the truck.

From under the truck Delilah could hear Murphy talking again, yet this time he was talking to Warren, the girl kicked his leg slightly "Murph man what did I just say?" She whined as the man kicked her leg back.

"Thanks." the raven haired boy smiled at the girl as she nodded moving out from under the truck, "Yeah I dunno guys, I think we should stick together." Doc spoke as Delilah frowned standing beside him "Hey what's happening?" She asked, looking at her sister, "No, Doc. Don't worry. We're just gonna scout ahead and circle back around and find you. It's not like you're getting far in the truck." Mack replied as he started to walk off to the motorcycle again, "Come on, Addy." He said as Delilah's sister looked back at them with a small smile "See you in a few guys." She said as Delilah looked at Addy anxiously, the pair hadn't left each others sides since the apocalypse started, Mack hadn't left them either, now seeing the two people who had raised her go away, even if it was just up the road, she still felt a pit of worry in her stomach.

After all, who knew what could happen in an apocalypse.

"I found a leak in the radiator hose." Ten thousand said from under the truck "Forgot he was under there." Delilah laughed, "Taped it up a little bit, but we're not going anywhere unless we get some water in there." Ten said as he stood up with the help of the young girl.

Passing everyone's water bottles to Doc he poured the liquid into the can in the engine of the truck, everyone watched in despair as they watched the water leave, their mouthes growing dry as they watched it.

Delilah and Ten stood at the end of the truck making sure everything was set and ready for when they'd start to move again, "Pretty cool how you knew what to do." Delilah said as she cleared some of the dried up twigs that were on the bed of the truck, the boy smiled to himself as he glanced at the girl, "You think?" He asked as he helped Delilah up onto the bed of the truck, he stood between her legs as Doc had a conversation with Murphy leaving everyone distracted to not realise how close the two at the back were.

Ten held Delilah's waist in his hands as he pushed her up into the bed of the truck, pushing the gate up. "Keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times, it's going to be a bumpy ride." He grinned and winked at the girl as he walked away to the front of the car getting into the driver's seat where he let out a loud shaky breathe, his hands shook as they touched the steering wheel.

Delilah rested her head back against the truck window, she watched as the sky faded into a grey colour, and then she hissed when 10k started the truck and it jolted, her head hitting the window as she held the back of her head against her, "Jesus 10k." She muttered shaking her head.