Five Years Later

Knuckles pov

I closed my eyes in deep meditation. After five years of trying I've gotten pretty good at it. It's like I'm in another plane of existence. I can take in all my surroundings at once. I feel calm. In that moment I felt at peace-

"Daddy"

I let out a sigh before opening my eyes. Sitting there was my two year old daughter emi. She was an echidna just like me but had purple patches and her mothers beautiful golden eyes. She was at her toddling stage and could string together a few words but most of it consists of incoherent babbling.

"What's up princess" I scooped the giggling girl up and hugged her close "you know daddy can't get any medication done with you constantly interrupting me"

"Abababa" she babbled.

"Well you make an excellent point little lady. I can't argue with that" I rubbed my nose against her belly.

"I can see you two are having fun" espio appeared with a bowl of roasted chestnuts.

"Mama" emi held out her little hands to him.

"Hey sweetie" espio smiled as he put down the boy and scooped her up.

He took a seat beside me. I smiled as I wrapped an arm around him. We sat in silence together, the only sound we could hear was emi babbling.

"You know you were right" espio broke the silence.

"About what?" I asked.

"About how I'd never be alone again" he smiled softly "I don't think I'd ever been happier than when I'm with the two of you"

"Same to you" I kissed the top of his head as I held him close. To think before meeting him I was content with spending the rest of my life alone. I guess I like company more than I thought.

The end.