living with a ninja

Knuckles pov

"Knuckles-sama"

I was brought out of my meditation by a voice I'd grown accustomed to over the past couple of days. I opened one eye to be greeted by espios golden eyes.

"Gomen. I know you're meditating but your food is going cold" he handed me a bowl of roasted chestnuts "the chao's helped me pick them. It seems they have forgiven me for holding their friend hostage"

"Yeah well they're not the type to hold grudges" I smiled softly "thanks for the food. You've taken good care of me since you got here"

"Well I enjoy being here so let's call it even" he smiled brightly "it's much better than my home in the ninja corp"

I stared at him curiously "why did you work there? I can't imagine a guy so honour bound willingly taking innocent lives"

His eyes shifted uncomfortably "I was not my choice. The ninja corp saw promise in me at a young age. I was taken from my hometown and forced to kill. I can never return home. Not after what I've done" tears brimmed in his eyes. I clenched my teeth. I felt angry in a way I never had before.

"Those selfish jerks!" I slammed my fist down angrily.

"Huh?" He looked up in surprise.

I turned to face him "espio you don't have to go back to them. You can stay here with me"

"That's very kind sempai but they'll come looking for me-"

"Then I'll protect you!" I cut him off "please espio. Stay with me"

Before I knew it he'd jumped into my arms "I will" he whispered as he wrapped his arms around my neck. I felt uncomfortable at first but eventually I returned the gesture.

Who knew I'd enjoy having company around...