sharing a meal

Knuckles pov

I stared out into the distance with steely resolve. There are people out there after my emerald and all the limitless power it offers. This is the kind of thing I've been waiting for. As the emeralds gardein I swear not to lose focus even for a second-

"Knuckles-sama" the young camillion who I discovered was named espio appeared in front of me.

"Yah" I jumped back in shock, almost tipping over the emerald "jeez you just appear out of nowhere don't you?"

"Oh course. Such is the art of ninjitsu" he said calmly before handing me a bowl of soup "I saw you were quite focused so I made you some misou soup"

"Thanks" I took the bowl greatfully "I admit I tend to go days without eating. When I get so focused on one thing it's hard to remember even small things like eating or sleeping"

"That's not good for your health" he flashed me a concerned look "perhaps I should stay and make sure you're taking care of yourself. I am in your debt after all"

"You sure are serious about this honour stuff" I said, my mouth full of noodles.

"Oh course I am. My family back in Japan taught me that honour is the most important thing a man can carry. It's the last memory I have of them" he looked at his bowl sadly.

"I don't have many memories of my family either. Perhaps we have more in common than we thought" I flashed him a sheepish smile.

"It would appear so" he smiled cutely. This kid's surprisingly sweet. I might not mind having him around.