chapter eight

Haddiyah pov

     After the death of my sister I thought life will become meaningless to me because she was all I had after my parents left but alas I found some one who tried to make me laugh everyday. It's funny how we became friends or will I say close friends. I was happy atleast it as comforting to have someone you could talk to even though we aren't that really close she was the one I could lean on anytime. My head on the desk reminiscing all the incident that has happened in my life for the past fourteen years.

       These days I seem to think more on my past maybe I should consider going to school that will help take my mind off things. I could make friends who are at my age. I'm not trying to sound ungrateful but Mirabel is older than I it's just that she acts childish sometimes I feel like the older one between us. She's twenty years older than six years difference but she always makes me free and that's all I could ever ask for.

       A woman walked into the store with so much confidence in her steps and pride. I already knew this kind of customers they always feel above the staffs and feel like they can treat the peasants like rags but I won't let her do that with me and behold she was already on her way to my desk so I did what I was good in I plasteeia fake smile on my face. " Welcome ma'am what will you like to get. We have jewelries of different designs and qualities. We have pearls, golds, diamonds, and silver. She looked at me from head to toe judging me I knew I look underweight and small but I don't care I've already gotten used the stares and judgment.

     " What is a little girl like you doing here aren't you meant to be in school without teenagers like you " she said clicking her tongue. Like I always do I ignored her. " Ma'am which one would you like so I'll get them for you so you could choose the one you desire" I purposely ignored her question. " Rude of you I asked you a question and you ignored it are you even qualified for this work. I hope you don't steal from your boss. You actually look like one of the stray children on the streets begging for alms" she said with so much disgust as if the stray children on the streets aren't Humans. I won't blame it was because she was lucky to be among the humans God has blessed but that doesn't mean she should use her blessings to oppress others.

     " Ma'am, firstly that's personal and it's none of your business why I'm not in school. it's not like I'm your child and I'll feel so unlucky to have a mother like you who doesn't have an ounce of sympathy for someone in my life and secondly I'm not a thief if that's what you are trying to say indirectly. I do my work diligently and well. I'm honest and loyal with all due respect ma'am I won't accept any more downgrading insults from you. If you aren't comfortable with me attending to you I'll get another staffs with tolerance to do that so excuse me " and I walked out on her. I might look okay outside but my heart was breaking inside but I won't let her see my tears she's not Worth it and so I called another staff to attend to the prude.

    " Oh no Jeremy you don't have to attend to such customers since the feel you aren't worthy of being I. There presence they should look for somewhere else where they could downgrade the staffs and doubt thee capabilities. So no go back to your station and let her leave the store. I won't accept any form of insult directly or indirectly directed to any of my staffs young or old" everywhere was quiet by the little statement made by our boss I was shocked that she'll stand up for her staff, she will stand up for me.  I was happy and scared. I was scared because I don't want to loose my job. It will take months before I get any good paying job in this little town of ours and by then I would have gone broke.

    " I won't take this kind of insult what do you mean I should leave the store" she screamed out loud like a Maniac. " I'm sure you aren't deaf neither are you an illiterate for someone who holds herself so high. I won't repeat myself take your leave to avoid anymore embarrassment or else the securities will show you the way out. She pointed at me " you you you this brat it's all because of you I'm getting Insulted anyways if I had not come to this lowly store of yours I won't be downgraded like this. I'll go to a very good jewelry store in the city much more better than this" she said with spite. How could someone have such a disgusting character like this for a beautiful woman like her she sure has an ugly personality. she matched her way out of the store. It was as if everyone was holding there breath and when she walked out of the store you could see the relief on there faces. " Now get back to work show is over " and that was when the fear of being fired engulfed me. I had to go and explain myself to the boss I don't want her thinking I'm disrespectful.

       So after we went back to our place and continued what we were doing. I quietly followed my boss to her office without her knowing I don't want to alert the crowd. I waited till she has entered her office and got a grip on myself it's not like I was the one at fault in the first place but I still felt the need to apologise for the incident and so I knocked and waited till i was told to come in.

   I shifted uncomfortable on the chair. I tend to play with my fingers when I'm feeling nervous her back was turned to me so I could read her face and when she turned to look at me. She looked at me softly. I felt relieved and I decided to speak up. " I'm sorry for the incident that happened today ma. It won't repeat itself even if I was talked down by a customer I won't have decline attending to her needs I'm sorry ma'am" and there was this silence after my little speech.

     " My dear no need for the apologies. What is even the need for the apology when you are not the one at fault so no need for apologizing it's okay. I've experienced this kind of customers and I usually send them out. We are all Humans we have heart and we also have our worth no one has the right to question that so don't fret hmmmmmm" a sigh escaped my lips. " By the way you took that well if I was the one I won't hesitate to give her a long piece of my mind" we both laughed at that statement. " But I knew you were trying to stay professional and I'm proud of you for that