The Crossing: Final Part

With what you know about the unsub, the man is an incompetent suitor seeking intimacy with a woman unavailable to him. He thinks he's courting his soulmate who in reality is a total stranger to him. He's making some physical improvements to his body to match Ryan's, but even if he's able to get enough confidence together to speak to Keri, she'd find it more like talking to a twelve-year-old boy.

A very dangerous twelve-year-old boy. His obsession has heightened, as indicated by him following her to Maryland and the amount of detail in those letters. He writes instead of calls, which could mean that he's afraid of how he'll sound. He might be less educated or have some sort of physical issue, like a speech impediment.

Their paths crossed somewhere in Atlanta, so he followed her. He's watching her, so you need to focus on what exactly she's doing here. His move here means that he's committed, and unless he's caught, he'll never break that commitment.

"What do you need?" Penelope asks when you call her.

"I need you to dig through Keri's life ever since she got the first letter two years ago. Something happened to make him notice her, and I need to know what."

Penelope types, but even through the phone, you can tell she is hesitant.

"Y/N, I'm used to doing this to America's most creepy, but digging through Keri's life like this makes me feel all gross and ugh."

"We have to do this in order to help."

"I know, but it's her business why she takes a large cash withdrawal out in Vegas. Answer: a bachelorette party. Who does she send flowers to every month in Wisconsin? Answer: her grandmother. Wow, she has awesome health insurance."

"Can we stay focused, please?" you ask.

"No, I'm saying it's amazing. Her private doctor was voted Atlanta's best. If that's the case, then why did she go to the Atlanta Women's Health Clinic not once, not twice, but three times?"

A lightbulb goes off in your head, and you turn to face Keri and JJ. Ryan is nowhere to be seen, but you're not worried about him. Your eyes go to JJ's stomach where the yellow glow is more present than ever.

"Thanks, Pen." You hang up on her and head back to the living room. "Why'd you go to the clinic three times last year?" Keri looks away in shame, but this is no time to be shy about things. "Keri, we need full disclosure here."

"Ryan doesn't know," she sighs, and you sit next to JJ. "Back when we were figuring out what this relationship was, I was pregnant. I just couldn't have a baby... not then."

"That was your decision. You don't have to explain that to anyone," JJ says seriously.

JJ's mood suddenly changes, and you know that she knows. She knows she's pregnant, but you don't know if she is considering getting an abortion or not. Whether she is or not, you'll be on her side through it all. She's your best friend, and you need to be there for her through everything.

"I know. Ryan's career was taking off, and I didn't want to trap him. I didn't want us to have any regrets."

"Keri," JJ whispers.

Ryan appears behind her with a pained look on his face. He heard everything. Keri jumps up at the sound of her husband's voice.

"Were you ever going to tell me? I thought you wanted to have kids."

"I do."

"Did you think I wouldn't drop everything to raise a baby?"

"I knew that's exactly what you'd do."

"I gotta go."

Ryan grabs his jacket and his keys before leaving the house altogether.

"Ryan. Wait! I'm sorry!" she says, but he's already gone.