Children of the Dark: Final Part

You don't know how long it'll take for Ervin to come into work, but you left your number with the manager so you can explore other options. The foster home has to be the breakthrough. You know foster care better than anyone because your parents were foster parents. They had so many small children in and out of the home. The kid who stayed the longest was a young boy, but he left at the age of twelve. You were the only older one in the house as every other kid was under the age of twelve.

If you can talk to the other kids, then you can try and connect with them. Maybe even the foster mom since you know how your mom worked. The foster mom, Kim, was shocked to hear that one of her former kids was on a rampage. The second you stepped foot into the house, you recognized the atmosphere and associated the energy with your past.

The past and present blur together until you're standing in the middle of your childhood home with your mother and father instead of Kim in front of you.

Your mom and dad brought home yet another child. This one is a little bit older than the ones they take in, but there is something off about him. He's... too scared. Why is he scared? Your mom and dad are nothing but loving parents. Living in a home with a bunch of different kids that come from all over is enough to overwhelm you.

You're sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast while your parents make the lunches for all the kids today. Out of the corner of your eye, you can see the newest recruit, Jacob, sneak into the kitchen. Your dad has a strict rule about kids being inside the kitchen while they're prepping, but Jacob didn't get the memo.

You look at him and widen your eyes slightly, shaking your head as if to tell him not to do it. Your dad can be a scary person if needed to be, and you'd hate to see Jacob get hurt. Jacob doesn't listen to you and tries to sneak some food because he didn't get to eat this morning. Your dad turns around and catches the small child, and you sigh deeply.

"Jacob! What did I say earlier? You're not allowed to be in here when your mother and I are in here."

"But I'm hungry," he says with wide eyes.

"You missed out on breakfast. Next time, you need to get down here earlier. Now, go get ready for school."

Jacob runs away with hints of tears in his eyes. You take two hard boiled eggs from your plate and pocket them with the intention you're going to give them to him later.

"Sweetheart, are you done eating?" your dad asks you.

"Yeah."

"Okay, lovebug, go get ready for school. I'll drive you myself."

He leans over and kisses you multiple times on your head, and you giggle as you push him away.

There is a lock on the fridge when Kim leads you inside to talk privately. The key to the fridge is around her neck. This isn't a foster mom. She's what you like to call a greedy person. The people that foster kids just for the money.

"My god. Ervin? Well, I mean, he had behavior problems. They all do, nothing we couldn't handle," Kim says.

"He hasn't been acting alone, Mrs. Manwaring. He's got a partner. Perhaps someone else who grew up in your care."

A young boy, probably junior high age, comes into the kitchen and tries to use the fridge.

"Tyler, the adults are talking here."

For a split second, Tyler is Jacob and Kim is your dad.

"I just want some milk. Can you open the fridge?"

"You know the rules." Tyler doesn't say anything else and leaves the kitchen, but you know exactly what he is feeling. "They'll eat you out of house and home if you let them."