Birthright: Part One

"It doesn't matter who my father was, it matters who I remember he was." - Anne Sexton

After what you and Spencer were doing in the car right before coming to work is enough to make a whore blush. You parked in the back of the parking garage just so you two could have some steamy alone time. There wasn't enough time to completely fix you two up, but you did your best with what you had. Still, that doesn't seem to be enough.

Everyone is waiting in the briefing room for JJ to come and present the next case, so you have some time to study Spencer's appearance. You two rushed to get redressed, and you can tell he missed a button. You wheel your chair closer to Spencer and nudge his side.

You reach over and quickly button his second button before anyone could comment on it. You also fix his tie to make it look more presentable. Spencer blushes slightly, and you wink at him before wheeling back over to your place. Derek is staring at the two of you, and you look up when you feel his eyes on you.

He smirks at you, and you shake your head playfully. JJ walks in seconds later with an apologetic look on her face.

"Sorry I'm late." She picks up the clicker and begins showing you victims and the crime scene photos. "Last night in Fredericksburg, a twenty-year-old woman, Molly McCarthy, was abducted. She's the third to go missing in the last six weeks. All disappeared from public places. No one's seen them since. A couple days ago, body parts with cigarette burns were recovered from a national park which was once the site of the Battle of Chancellorsville."

"Were they able to make an ID?" Hotch asks.

"Only one. The first victim, taken six weeks ago. Decomposition indicated that she had been dead just over a week."

"That shows that he likes spending time with them. How'd she end up like that?" you wonder.

JJ flips through the different photos of body parts that were taken at the crime scene.

"The M.E. found microscopic tool marks on the bone."

"I remember reading about a case like this in Spotsylvania County. There were similar markings on the bone," Spencer explains. "It was the winter of 1980, also in Fredericksburg. five women, aged sixteen to twenty-four, buried in pieces with the same markings in the same civil war battlefield."

"Were they killed at the same time of year and left at the same dump site?"

"The case is still open. Back then, the victims were drug addicts and runaways."

"If he spends that much time with them, there's a chance these two women could still be alive," Hotch says.

"Wait. We think this could be the same killer? That's a hell of a cooling-off period," Emily states.

"The BTK Killer resurfaced after a twenty-five-year hiatus."

"True, but he didn't kill anyone. He only taunted the police."

"The marks on the bone and where he dumps them is a very specific signature. It's hard to copycat details that were never made public."

"Garcia, check the M.O. against girls missing in other states. It could explain the long absence."

"I'm on it," Penelope says and leaves the briefing room to get started.

"If this is the same unsub, what's he been doing for the past twenty-seven years?" Rossi asks.

"That's what we're going to find out."

You look over at JJ to see her checked out. It takes her five seconds to notice that everyone is packing up. She snaps out of wherever she went and stands up, gathering her folders. She is out the door before you can ask her if everything is okay.