Sixteen

Why? How? What the heck is going on here?! First I find out that Ian is involved in some illegal crap and somehow Nicholas is involved as well! I came to Florida thinking I'll be living a normal film student life. Nothing in my thoughts did I think this will be how it will become. I'm holding onto the ripped piece of paper, pacing around my room trying to figure out what to tell Ian.

"What do I do?" I lay back on my bed, unlocking my phone to look at Ian's name on my phone screen with all the messages between us underneath.

Oh god. I sit up straight looking at myself in the mirror that's across from me. Nicholas knows I hang out with Ian. He knows who Ian truly is. He knows that I know who Ian truly is as well.

"Wait a second." I look back down at the piece of paper.

'Tell your man that I got his money and if he wants it, he has to come to me himself.

Xoxo Nick'

"Money." I look at myself in the mirror again. "Money."

"If no money appears after that, the real fun begins." Ian's voice plays through my mind from that day.

"Nicholas is the guy Ian was talking about." My lips gape open as the puzzle pieces find their way together. Skylar is right, this part of my life will make an epic script.

I lay the paper on my lap, take a picture of it and immediately send it to Ian without saying anything else. Even though I know this isn't going to play out pretty by informing him, part of me knows that not telling him would probably put me in more danger. Who knows how the crap they do, I only know like 5 percent. Nicholas probably has a swat team on speed dial that will show up at my house if I didn't tell Ian. Not a minute goes by before Ian responds.

Ian: Stay put. Do not leave your house. Be there soon.

My stomach drops instantly, my grip tightens on my phone. Why would he come to my house? Shouldn't he go handle whatever crap with Nicholas? Can't these idiot boys keep me out of their game? I did not sign up for my life to be at risk!

I shift myself around on my bed and decide to just get back to my script. Ideas are finally flowing through me and I need to get them all down before I lose my inspiration. I open up another word doc and start coming up with character names, the plot line, and areas I want to add or change. I might not win this festival but this might be the best film I create.

A smile appears on my face as I write important details that have to be in the script. Scenes that began everything, without them there wouldn't be anything to write about. I have to thank Skylar when I see her for helping me find the fire I needed.

A loud bang on our front door breaks my concentration. That must be the mean that Ian has finally arrived. I close my laptop and make my way to open the front door. Right on the other side stands the man himself, wearing his usual uniform. White button, with a black jacket and his usual black slacks. His are a dark shade of blue, no amusement show. His hair was slick back and a few stubs of hair on his chin.

"Well hello," I smile at him.

"Are you going to let me?" His voice was stern. I don't bother saying anything, I step out of the way allowing him access to enter the house. "How does Nicholas know you?"

I shrug my shoulders, "We went on one date when I moved here."

Ian turns to face me, his eyes are ice cold and his jaw is clenched. "You went on a date with him?" It's like his words were traced in venom. Sending shivers down my back.

"Yeah, it's not against the law to go on a date with someone. You make it sound like it's such a crime." I sit down on the bar stool.

"It is when the guy can kill you! Nicholas isn't someone you would want to be alone with, Julia! He's dangerous!"

I wave my hand in front of my nose, "Man, doesn't it smell like a hypocrite in the room or something?"

"What the heck are you talking about?"

"You're over here slandering Nicholas when you're the same! I don't know the crap you two are involved in but you both are apparently a guy I shouldn't be alone with! You both kill, you both do shady things! Threaten people to get what you want! Don't go saying one is dangerous when you both are dangerous!"

"We're not the same," Ian said through the grit of his teeth.

"How so?" I cross my legs and arms.

"I don't put you in danger. I didn't put you in the middle of something that can kill you! He did!"

"You kidnap me!"

"Because you were avoiding me!"

"A normal person with a brain would just come to the person's house if they're ignoring them!"

"Well, obviously I'm not normal!"

"Yeah, you made that loud and clear!" I got up to walk into the kitchen to get myself a glass of water. This man is driving me crazy.

"I didn't come here to argue with you, I came here to find out how you knew him and to help keep you safe." He follows behind me.

"Well, you're the one who started the argument." I shrug my shoulders.

"Julia."

"Ian." I take a sip of my water, ignoring his eyes staring me down. "What's your plan? Because you're not trapping me in a tower or castle. I'm not letting you keep me from my life. I have school, a job, and social life."

"I'm not gonna let you roam around knowing he has a target on your back to get me."

"How about you just go to him as he wants and boom, the target on my back is gone!"

"That's not how this works."

"And why not?"
"Because that's not how our world, our business works! He wants to kill me to take it over!"

I'm glad my glass is sitting on the counter because if it wasn't, it would be shattered on the tiled floor after the last few words Ian said. That made a rock drop in the pit of my stomach making me feel nauseous. Ian being killed, that can't happen. I don't want that to happen. It can't. 

----------------

My debut novel 'The Change For Her' is now available for purchase online on Barnes & Noble, and Amazon and can be read on Amazon Ulitmate!!

You can find the links on my website audreacraig.com

Twitter: audrealife

Instagram: audreaslife

TikTok: audreacraig