Fourteen

Growing up I always perfect how I would want my life to turn out. What path I see myself going down. I sat around with my friends and we would laugh while scribbling random goals we wanted to achieve together. Graduate high school, get accepted to college and live together while we wait to fall in love with the man who we want to spend the rest of our lives with, have kids, and hope they'll become best friends.

Never have I pictured laying in bed covered in silk sheets, with a billionaire who just fucked me on his balcony. I never saw myself with someone who's involved with legal crap that could lead him behind bars. Now I'm stuck. I can't leave him, even though I should but I can't. How could I? I tried to remove him from my life but he brought me back.

I cling to the sheet laying over me and gently get out of the bed so I don't disturb him from his sleep. Once my bare feet touch his wooden floor, I make my way to the balcony where my clothes are scattered. I collect each item rushing to the bathroom to change. I need to leave before he awakes. I need to return to my place and soak myself in a hot shower until my skin turns red. To clear my head because when I'm around Ian, I can't think straight. He makes my head foggy.

As I pulled my top over my head, I froze at the sight of me. A deep realization clicks. Skylar.

"Shit, shit, shit."

I fiddle around with my shorts, checking every pocket until my hand finally finds my phone. I click all the bottoms trying to turn it on, only to discover it's dead.

"You gotta be kidding me!"

I keep clicking the lock button.

"Come on! Agh!"

I place my phone on the counter as I trip, putting my shorts on and slipping my shoes on. I grab my phone and rush out of Ian's room thankful he's still sleeping. I speed walk down the marble flooring, trying to figure out how I'll get home since I don't have my money. I gave my wallet to Skylar since she brought her mini backpack. I'm stranded here.

"You gotta be kidding me," I groan out, running my fingers through my messy hair, a small relief appears when I see the front door.

"Ms. Nelson, are you leaving?" A voice behind me makes my heart stop for a second, he has a hint of British in his voice.

I turn around slowly to the familiar face, Ian's driver. "Uh," I clear my throat. "Yeah, um. I need to get home to do school work." I fidget around.

"May I drive you back?" He holds the door open.

A breath I didn't realize I was holding leaves between my lips. "That would be great." I smile at him while walking out the door. "Thank you so much, Mr.-"

"Mathew." He smiles back.

"Thank you so much, Mr. Mathew."

~*~

"Have a lovely day, Ms. Nelson." Mathew holds his hand out to help me out of the vehicle.

"I will, same to you." My body feels relaxed being back home, no longer being surrounded by the heavy energy that lingers in Ian's mansion. "Please call me Julia."

"Will do, Julia."

My eyes stay on him as he gets back into the driver's seat and drives off before making my way to the front door. Where I know my friends will possibly be waiting for me with a million questions. Questions I don't think I'll have the answers to or know how to explain without it sounding insane.

"Breathe, Julia. Breathe."

I take one step at a time, turning the door knob slowly hoping it's unlocked. Thankfully, it was. As I step inside, I immediately feel eyes on me and hear footsteps rushing toward me.

"Julia!" I get engulfed in a hug.

"Ow!" Skylar hits me repeatedly.

"Where the hell have you been?!" She yells.

"Yeah! Where the heck did you disappear to?!" Alice pushes my shoulder.

"We've been blowing up your phone after Skylar told us you vanished!" Lexi stares at me with tears in her eyes. "We looked over that place trying to find you!"

"I'm sorry," I look around to see how chaotic the place looks.

Wine and beer bottles are scattered around, the guys must have been here because they're the only ones among the group who drinks beer. There are chips on the floor and boxes of pizza. Misshapen beds on the floor, chair, and couch. It's like they've been camping out here, waiting for me.

"Where're the guys?"

"They had practice but they'll be back," Skylar tells me.

I nod my head and make my way to the living room to sit. Trying to process how to tell them Ian kidnapped me or to make up something that sounded less crazy. My head hurts from trying to process what happened. I reach for a random empty wine glass and filled it with whatever red wine that they had to begin drinking the headache away.

"Julia, what happened?" Skylar's voice is lace with concern.

She sits beside me, while Lexi and Alice sit down in front of me. The three of them are looking at me with sorrow in their eyes. It pains me to know what all they thought happened to me. Being killed, kidnapped to become a prostitute, assaulted, and who knows what else. It sends shivers down my spine.

"Ian, showed up as we were leaving." Which isn't far from the truth.

"Then why didn't you tell one of us instead of vanishing? And why didn't you answer your phone?" Alice questions.

"My phone died, and he didn't give me much time to do so."

Skylar scoots closer to me and wraps her arm around me. "Why do you look scared?"

Because I just found out that I've been screwing with someone who's involved with illegal crap that can get me killed.

"I'm not, just tired."

I take another sip of the wine, while my mind keeps reflecting on everything. Specifically, how I let him inside me when I should have left for good.

The girls stay close to me while staying silent. I feel guilty that from now on, I have to keep a part of my life a lie. Just to keep them safe. 

----------------

My debut novel 'The Change For Her' is now available for purchasing online on Barnes & Noble, and Amazon and can be read on Amazon Ulitmate!!

You can find the links on my website audreacraig.com

Twitter: audrealife

Instagram: audreaslife

TikTok: audreacraig