Chapter 57

Kai's Pov (flashback)

"Are you even listening to me, Kai?" Kehlani sighed, taking a step back as she shook her head. "It seems like lately, every time we talk, you're everywhere but with me. I need you with me, you should be here with me, I shouldn't have to ask you for that either."

"You're right, you shouldn't have to ask that, Lani, I'm sorry," I said to her, as I stood in front of my room's mirror, examining the person in front of it.

"What were you just thinking about?" She asked.

"Nothing important, you can continue."

I could feel her eyes on my skin, as she came from behind me, pressing her body behind mine as her chin rested on my shoulder, although she was shorter. "Kai."

"Kehlani, where do you go?" I started, letting out a sigh of frustration. "You leave during lunch, in the middle of the night, sometimes even on weekends," I said, as she went quiet. "If there is someone on the side, just—"

"-what?" Kehlani blurted, pulling away from my body as I turned to her. "I have literal tattoos inspired by you, we've been together for six years, every single important person in my life loves you. I love you, and I know I've been flaky but there will never be another person. I don't even think of having anyone else, I wouldn't even breathe next to another girl if you asked me not to. I just have business that I gotta take care of sometimes, but you know I'd never do you like that my love, you don't ever have to worry."

"I trust you, I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page."

"Hazel and I were talking last night, it was about you." My girlfriend said, staying in her same spot. "She said that being with Ryan was one of the most promising yet, on edge experience, and that's what my relationship with you would feel like. When you and Ryan are tense, the whole world feels it, you keep digging and digging until you finally find what you're looking for. Or it'll keep bothering you, keeping you up at night because you don't trust anything. But I need you to trust me, and trust the fact it'll all work out."

(flashover)

The course of the dinner party had been going well, everyone was having a good time, dispersed into different groups. With a few drinks in everyone's systems, the night was just beginning; There wasn't anything special going on, but I felt like we needed something to bring us together after all of our mess. Willow and Matt were safe and healthy, I was and so was Lauren, Ariana, Cole, and the rest of my friends. Otto wasn't creeping down our necks, we could just enjoy the little time we had left before getting back to business. And that's what we intended to do.

I laughed, shaking my head at Zayn and taking another sip of my drink, as we both sat in the kitchen where the music was less loud with only us here. "I'm sorry, what did you just say?"

"You've literally called Ariana a radish," Zayn said, looking at me confused.

"I said she looks ravishing,"

"Oh, that makes more sense,"

"You haven't changed." I smiled, knowing he was still as slow as he was back when we were teenagers. "Where's Khai?"

"With the wife, they wanted to join everyone but they were feeling sick," He explained, grinning as he spoke about his family. "Gigi says hi though."

"Wait, the wife? Have you popped the question?" Shawn teased, coming from behind me with Camila by his side.

"Not yet, I haven't had time to go ring shopping." He shrugged with a small smile. "But isn't Camila married? Otto, right?"

"Yeah, I've been meaning to ask you about that." I pointed out, turning to her as the Cuban froze while drinking whatever was in her glass.