Chapter 31

ariana's pov

"Is it just me or does Ryder seem weird?" I whispered to Kai after Frankie and Ryder headed to the restrooms.

Kai shrugged, "I thought the same thing, but maybe he's just nervous. If Joan and Nonna likes him, then maybe we're overthinking it,"

"It's just Frankie seems so interested in him, and Ryder just seems too perfect,"

"Weird relationship dynamic?" Kai reasoned, trying to give Ryder the benefit of a doubt.

I just didn't trust him, or his 'feelings' for my brother. It all seemed very one-sided, and after Kai confirmed her suspicions, then I knew I was right about him.

We directed the conversation to something else, until Frankie and Ryder came back almost thirty minutes later, just in time for the food. Kai shared a look with me as the two sat down, and we were both thinking the same thing.

Ryder cleared his throat, hoping to end the awkwardness. "Bathrooms were...uh, crowded," I sent Frankie a look, letting him know weren't stupid.

"You think the women's bathroom is just as crowded?" Kai smiled, causing me to kick her playfully, under the table. "Ouch," She muttered, rubbing her leg.

"So," Frankie said. "How's the food?"

"I haven't tried it yet, it's still pretty hot," I nodded.

"...so you guys are dating? How did you two meet?" Ryder asked.

Judging by Kai's look, I'd be the one answering this question. "We were in the same friend group, with our exes at the time,"

"Woah, isn't that crazy how luck works out? Well, good thing your relationships with those jerks ended and you have each other. Otherwise, you'd be wasting your time. Frankie told me about how toxic your ex-boyfriend was, glad you're not with him anymore."

Before I could say anything to Ryder, Kai interrupted. "What exactly are you trying to say about Mac? You suddenly believe everything Frankie tells you? He spent most of his time away in college before he came. He'd barely spent any time with Mac, that's bullshit. And luck does workout weirdly. Our significant others are dead because—"

I stopped her before she could get into anymore. I realized she was trying to be as calm as possible, but the more she spoke, the louder her words got. "-just don't disrespect them, or us again." I shrugged.

How could Frankie just talk about him like that? As if he wasn't considered the love of my life at a point in time?

"Right, sorry. I had no idea, I was only told you guys were broken up with them." Ryder sighed, sending a pressed look to Frankie, "I completely didn't mean to make you guys feel uncomfortable or disrespected, if there's anything I can do—"

"-How did you and Frankie meet?" Kai asked.

"We take computer science together, I met him in the halls and we just started grabbing coffee," Ryder answered, timidly looking at my girlfriend.

She was staring at him with a blank face, arms crossed, eyeing him down. I could tell she was pissed, in fact, so could everyone. Since Ryder had never met the girl before, I knew this only made him nervous.

She could tell he meant no harm in his words, I think it was Frankie she was pissed at. And if that was true, so was I.

"Where are you from?"

"New York."

"How many siblings do you have?"

"Three, two full and one half,"