Chapter 21

Kai's Pov

"Kai, I've been meaning to talk to you," Charlie said, as I sat in my cabin, relaxed on the couch.

"I don't have the time for it, it's a vacation and we can go at each other's heads afterward," I shrugged, paying him no mind. I wish we had service out here, I wanted to check on Matt and see everything was okay after what Lauren told me.

He sighed, "It isn't anything like that, I promise. Just take a walk with Liam and I,"

"Why not here?"

"Meet us after the bonfire, everyone will be asleep and it'll be easier to be undefeated. If you don't, that's fine. But it's serious." And with that, he walked away, avoiding my question.

Victoria emerged from the kitchen, as the door opened to reveal Ariana and Dalton laughing together.

Victoria and I both shared a look, that read, "Oh, so it's not just me seeing this,"

"We've been looking for you everywhere," Ariana said, embracing me in a hug.

"Well, I've been here, with Victoria." I chuckled, but I was still a bit suspicious of the two together. "I take it as everything is fine between you?"

Dalton shrugged, "My apology was long overdue, man."

"Kai, can I speak to you in the kitchen?" Victoria said, still eyeing the two.

"Excuse us," I told Ariana and Dalton, before walking into the kitchen with Victoria.

"There's no way they're friends again, Ari said she would never. So either they're planning something, or Ari's been hit over the head with a rock,"

"It's weird, yeah. But Ariana trusts me, unless my friends have a habit of partnering up with people behind my back,"

"Zayn, right!" Victoria said, realizing we forgot about him. "Have you spoke to him?"

"No, the last I saw him was on the bus,"

"I'll stick around and see what they're is up to, and you see if you can find him. Worst-case scenario, he might be plotting against you as well."

"Speaking of that, Liam and Charlie asked me to meet them after the bonfire tonight."

"I'll come with just in case,"

"Uncle Matteo would be proud," I chuckled.

Ariana and Dalton were very hesitant about me leaving the cabin, but somehow Victoria managed to convince them to let me leave alone. Once I managed to leave the cabin, I immediately found Madison sitting at a table.

"Everything okay?" She asked once we met eyes.

"Have you seen Zayn?"

Madison shrugged, "He's in the woods somewhere, we share a cabin and he said he needed to clear his head. I'll come with you if you're gonna go look for him,"

"I'll be okay."

"The woods are big as fuck, it doesn't take much for you to get lost," Madison laughed, "Plus, that was kinda my excuse to spend more time with you."

"Madison—"

"-don't worry, I respect you and Ariana." She gave a half smile before we started to walk. I insisted on checking the deeper part of the woods since I knew Zayn and he would most likely be there.

"Why are you trying to find him anyways?"

"Just to make sure everything's fine,"

"Even after he betrayed you?"