Chapter 41

Ariana's Pov (tw: abuse)

"Where are you going?" Otto asked, leaning against the doorframe, as I got ready to head to Kai's. "Frankie can't need help again,"

"This isn't about Frankie," I sighed, trying to put on my shoes faster before things escalated.

The both of us had been on edge lately, and we were never in the same room anymore. Otto was trying to make up for what he did, but I still needed time away from him. If we weren't even married yet, imagine what like would be like if we were. Maybe I just had bad taste, first Dalton, then Otto? Yet, Kai and Malcolm never did so, maybe raised their voices once or twice, but that was it.

"Ari, I know things between us haven't been good but I'm still your fiancé and you deserve to at least let me know something,"

"Okay, I'm leaving,"

He rolled his eyes. "Can you stop acting like a fucking child? You know what I meant, Ariana. Only children walk away from their problems, you can't even look at me anymore! I said I was sorry already!"

"Otto, please just go," I said calmly after he finished his rant.

He sighed, shaking his head as he paced around."Ariana, are you cheating on me?"

"No, I'm not Otto! I'm allowed to have a life outside of you!" I replied, grabbing my purse. "I never ask where you are."

"Uh, working?" He scoffed.

I didn't bother to say anything else, instead, walk right past him. Unfortunately, he grabbed my arm before I could reach the door. "Ari... wait, stay, please? Let's just talk."

"I need space,"

"What?" He mumbled, looking at me. "I do so much for you, but you need space from me?"

"Otto—"

"-space? Fine." He walked away for a few seconds, knocking off things from shelves. Just as I finally opened the door, he came back with a pair of keys, throwing them at me. "Get the fuck out!" He yelled, as the keys hit my cheek.

The drive to Kai's house was a blur, I only remember crying in her arms when she first opened the door.
It was silence between us, but I could tell she knew I didn't wanna talk about it.

She wasted no time in grabbing an ice pack for my cheek, helping ice it. Once it was no longer cool, she came back with a first aid kit and cleaned my cheek.

"How did this happen?" She finally said, as she carefully wiped the cut.

"I fell," I mumbled.

"That's the most basic excuse ever. A fall doesn't cause you to come to me upset, what actually happened?"

"As you were saying before, we needed to talk?" I asked, ignoring her. This only sparked her interest more, but she let it go.

"I found out your fiancé is planning some kind of revenge. Matteo didn't explain much, but we just know he wants to take me down, and I think he's gonna do that by marrying you," She breathed, looking up at me.

"So... he's using me?"

"I'm sorry Ari, I just—"

"-it's fine," I gave a small smile, grabbing ahold of her hand, as we looked at each other. "I'm still in love with you while engaged to him, I'm not a good guy either,"

"Was Bonnie ever one?" She chuckled, giving me a smile as well.

By our closeness, I knew the both of us just waited for the other person to act on this. Surprisingly, it was her who leaned in first, melting our lips together.

At first, our kiss started as sweet and passionate, but it only got deeper, more lustful as we progressed.  Just when her hand landed on the waistband of my jeans, she pulled away.

"As much as I wanna... you know... I don't think we should." Kai said, scratching the back of her neck, sheepishly.

I nodded, obviously disappointed. "Right."

"I don't regret the kiss if that's what you're thinking. I just don't wanna complicate things now, but after everything's figured—"

Before she could finish her sentence, her front door flew open with a very pissed Lauren.

"-Have you been checking your phone?!" She yelled, rushing towards Kai.

"No, it's upstairs. Why?"

"Zayn's house just got trashed, like everything is completely ruined. Gigi and Khai weren't at home luckily—"

Kai sighed, "-Call everyone for me, get them all here. I don't think it's safe for anyone to be alone with their families right now, especially if we don't know who did it."

"I don't think that's a good idea." The Cuban said, handing Kai a paper, that looked to be a note.

As she looked over it, I could just barely make out what it said.

Things will be much bigger than a social media page. I'm looking forward to seeing you, Kai.

"Could that be..." I started, watching the two look up at me. The three of us knew what this meant, but no one wanted to believe it.

"I'm not gonna be threatened by someone who goes to Twitter for revenge. It's just a scare." Kai finally said, discarding the letter on the table.

"Zayn's family could've been hurt, we can't afford to downplay this," Lauren argued, starting to get a bit mad.

Instead of discarding Lauren's words like I expected her to, she heard her out, just listening to Lauren going on a full rant.

"What are you suggesting we do then?" She sighed after Lauren finally stopped.

"You and Zayn should go, we have to be a step ahead of them— whoever this is."

"Which is why I think I should stay, I can't go running just because of a threat. My parents never did, so neither will I."

"If you don't then Zayn won't either."

"Then so be it."

Lauren looked at me for a second, before pulling the brunette into the kitchen.

Only Lauren came back out of the kitchen, sitting on the couch with her head in her hands.

I wanted to check on Kai, but was that the right move? Why didn't she come out with Lauren?

Seconds later, she eventually came out, seeming to be less stressed than Lauren was. "Can you get information on Otto? He has to be keeping something around your house."

"Maybe in his office, but yes I can check."

"Good." Was all she said. She stood leaned against the doorframe, Lauren stayed the same, while I remained sitting in the same chair.

Over the hour, her house became filled with more people she seemed to be familiar with. I only recognized Cole, Antonio, Shawn, Camila, Zayn, Victoria, and Tommy, but there were still like 20 people I didn't know.

"You called?" Zayn was the first to say, locking eyes with Kai.

a/n: next chapter😏