Chapter 53

Kai's Pov

Months later

"Let me see your chest," Victoria said, as I stood on a scale, while in her office, completing my monthly check-up. I raised my shirt, so she could see the progress my burns and bruises had been making. To them, it still looked horrible, but considering it felt much better than a couple of months ago, I wasn't complaining. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine," I answered shortly, wanting to get this over with so I could go back home.

"Kai, I need more than that to make sure you're healing properly, you know this."

"Okay um, everything doesn't hurt as much and I'm finally able to move more."

"Do you remember the details of that night?"

"Kinda, yeah."

"How's the feeling in your shoulder?"

"Getting better."

"The headaches?"

"Still there."

"Have you met with the doctor I asked you to?"

"Not yet."

"I'm gonna call Ariana and remind her."

"No, I'll go Victoria, stop."

"You won't take it seriously unless it comes from Ariana."

"That's not true."

"Kai, you need to be a lot more careful with your body. You're moving too reckless now, and Uncle Ryan and Aunt Hazel would've never let this happen and you know that."

"I do, which is why I'm training more to get my body back where it was. I'm fine, Victoria."

"Devyn found something in your heart."

"Well, it's nothing."

"I looked into it and it kinda looks like some kind of disease. I wanna run some more tests on you. Mom told me Aunt Hazel had a heart condition, and I'm wondering if it was genetic."

"One of my doctors a long time ago thought it was one too, turns out it was misleading. I got tested a long time ago, I'm okay."

"Kai—"

"-trust me on that at least."

She didn't make any further comments on it and decided to drop it. "How are our friends?"

"After Yasmin and Arden's funeral, everyone's been doing the best they can to stay in high spirits, but it's still hard on them. Zayn's trying to relearn doing things with his arm, but it's not working like it used to. And you know how hard that is for him, considering he's been training with his arm since he was a kid. Hell, his family is our best family of hitmen and he lost some control of his dominant hand. But Lauren's she's doing amazing, she just gets headaches too and stuff."

"Remind me to schedule an appointment with him."

"He won't come, he's been working nonstop to get complete feeling in his shoulder back."

"He needs a physical therapist."

"Yeah, well how is Matt and Willow?"

"They're fine," Victoria sighed, taking a seat in her chair as I sat back on the hospital bed. "I still don't know how to thank Lauren, she literally saved them."

"I know," I added, thinking about the current love triangle that was still going on. Lauren and I hadn't spoken much and that was only because she didn't wanna talk to me after the explosion. Which I could understand since it took Ari two weeks to even look at me. I couldn't deny that Lauren and I had something unfinished between us, but my heart was still wholeheartedly with Ariana, and I think that's what hurt her most too.