2. Masquerade Ball

Start from the beginning

I tip my mask up slightly to take a sip of wine before setting it down.

"Why are you all alone?" I ask.

The woman smiles and sets her glass down, resting both hands on the table. I glimpse multiple, expensive-looking silver rings on her fingers.

One is in the shape of a bird while several others have black gemstones. I glance at her crown and notice that it follows a similar theme— silver wings with a black gem in the center.

"No one wants to be with me," she whispers softly. "They're afraid of what will happen to them."

"What do you mean?" I ask, staring at her Y/E/C eyes.

"I mean I suggest you get out of here before the guards come back," she says simply. "I know why you're here and I'm not interested."

I nod in understanding and glance back at my table which has now been filled with unfamiliar people. Sapnap makes a beckoning motion with his finger.

I stand up to go.

"I'll be back," I promise. As I leave, I hear her scoff from behind me.

"Good luck with that."

I join my gang back at the table and they introduce me to some of the people there.

The man next to me, Max, leans toward me.

"That was risky, you're lucky she was on your side."

"What?" I blink in confusion.

"Tell me," a man named Thomas says, sitting across from me. "Do you go to mafia balls often?"

"No," I reply. Balls were not something that interested me, I preferred to work more on mafia things."

A collective murmur runs through the group.

"That makes sense then," a woman next to Thomas says. "You may have the skill to shoot a gun. But do you know how this works?" she gestures toward the party.

"How a ball works?" I ask.

"No," Max shakes his head. "How the mafia society works. Who's on the top, who's dangerous, who's untouchable, who's most important, who you should ask permission to talk to, and so on."

The woman shakes her head.

"And so I must say, you have to learn the ways of the mafia society quickly, or you'll be making lots of enemies. You've already made one grave mistake."

I glance at Sapnap, then at George who both shoot me questioning looks. I decide to press on.

"What was it?"

The woman makes a clicking noise with her tongue and rises to leave, beckoning for Thomas to follow.

The two of them head to the buffet table while I stare at Max for answers. He rolls his eyes and drops his voice to a whisper, leaning closer to me.

"The woman you just talked to, that's Y/N," he whispers. "But be warned. She's untouchable."

I scoff.

"What do you mean?"

He points at an older man standing a few feet away from her table, his eyes locked on her form. He wears a regular black suit with a black tie and a black feathered mask covering his face. He has a slight gray beard and looks to be in his 50s or so,

"That's her Dad, Marcus."

My eyes widen as the man shifts slightly to the side where I can glimpse a small pair of black wings tattooed onto the left side of his neck.

"The most powerful mafia leader in the world I breathe out. The one who attacked our warehouse a few days ago."

I scan the area and notice four men, all wearing suits, also watching her from afar. The original guards still stand by her table.

"He won't let anyone get close," Max whispers again. "You have to ask him permission if you want to join her. You walking up to her was a bit mistake since it puts you on her dad's radar. Now even more since apparently you and the Black Crows Mafia haven't been on the best terms. The fact that she actually sent the men away baffles me."

"She just told me that no one wants to be near her since they're afraid of what will happen to them. I assume she was referring to what her dad might do. She also said that I should leave since she knows what I want and that she's not interested."

"What do you want?" Max whispers.

I shrug.

"Don't know, but maybe I can ask again," I stand up but Marcus grabs my wrist in a firm grip.

"Don't do it," he warns. "You need to ask her dad's permission first."

"Well, maybe I don't want to ask." I stand up quickly and take two steps toward Y/N's table.

"Don't," Max warns one last time, taking a sip of his wine. "You'll kill yourself."

I roll my eyes with a smirk.

"I'll be fine. Death is not something I fear."

——————————————————————————————

1,446 words

Comment any mistakes you find so I can fix them!