・♡『Part Forty -Two』♡・

She stared. Heart thumping like a train racing down the tracks. Panic thick in her stomach, like sludge. Fear like lead weighing her to the spot. Her body began to tremble.

He leaned against the doorframe. Black hair wild around his face. His black piercings standing out on his pale skin. He wore dark blue jeans, a white shirt with light grey camo patterning, and his black leather jacket.

A week ago, she would have found this look gorgeous. A beautiful man. Now, it made her stomach turn. To look him in the eye again. Have him on her doorstep. Nausea creeped upwards from her stomach.

"I've missed you, babe," he said with a slur. "Why haven't you called me back?"

Her nose crinkled at the pungent scent wafting from his breath. "Are you drunk?"

"Can I come in?"

"That's not a good idea."

She tried to shut the door, but he stuck his black boot in the way and pushed his way in. Renna jumped back to keep distance between them. He shut the door and locked it. A shiver fizzled up Renna's spine.

As he stumbled into the middle of the room, she stepped into the doorway of her bedroom before realising she could become blocked in, and stepped sideways instead, moving into the living area.

"Levi, you need to leave," she said, not bothering to keep the fear from her voice.

"Why won't you call me back?" He leaned onto the counter, shoving a stool out of his way.

"I don't want to talk to you."

"Oh come on, baby." He stepped towards her, and she moved fast to put her small couch between them. "Don't be like that. I'll make it up to you. I promise."

I need to get out of here. Just get to the door. Get it open before he grabs me. And run. "I don't want anything from you."

He switched directions, pushing her away from the front door. "Please, baby. Just let me—"

She cut him off. "Stop calling me baby."

They stood on opposite sides of the couch. Renna eyed the door. Levi swayed on his feet.

"What's with you?" He leaned on the back of the couch with both arms, and Renna took a step back. "Why are you so cranky?"

"I want you to leave."

"I'm not leaving until I get you back."

The blood in her veins hummed through her ears. "That's not going to happen."

"I'll take that as another challenge." His smile turned her stomach.

"It's not. Go home."

With a scoff, he said, "No one will ever love you like I do. Do you really think someone will want you with your circumstances? I'm all you've got."

Maybe he's right. No one will love me the way I am. But I'd rather be single than with him. "No thanks."

"Are you kidding me?" Disgust crinkled his face. "Don't be so stupid. You want me, I know it."

He made an attempt to climb over the couch and adrenaline shot into Renna's veins. She rushed to get around, but he put his leg down and made it to the end of the couch at the same time as her.

As she skidded to a stop, almost crashing into him, he grabbed her wrist. She tried to pull free but failed.

"Let me go," she begged.

His grip tightened. "We can be happy. I can make you happy."

"No, you can't."

"Sure I can." He pulled her in, but she resisted and stood her ground. "Don't you trust me?"

Her teeth ground together. Trust him? "You haven't given me a reason to trust you."

"I gave you all my love."

"You attacked me!"

He groaned, rolling his head back. "You need to get over it. It's not that big of a deal."

"Maybe to you, but it's a big deal to me."

"You could handle it, I'm sure." He leaned in, heading for a kiss.

She pulled away, avoiding his lips, but having to catch him as he stumbled and fell forward onto her. "I don't want to. That's what you're not understanding."

His grip loosened and she jumped at the opportunity, ripping her wrist free and bouncing back from him.

"Why don't you love me?"

"I did." Her chest tightened. "Then you did what you did." As she backed away, always keeping her eyes on him, he followed. Slow steps. Around the couch.

"That shouldn't have changed anything," he said, moving like an animal stalking its prey. "It should have made us better."

"It didn't."

"Can't I fix it?"

"No."

He sighed. "There has to be something I can do."

"You can leave."

"Not until I have you again." His eyes darkened, sending chills over her skin, from her head down to her feet.

Standing in front of her bedroom door, Levi still making his way around the couch, she eyed the front door in front of her.

Can I make it? Should I go?

With her heart ready to explode from her chest, she took a breath in and ran. The world blurred. The door at the centre of her focus. A short distance. Yet, a long stretch to run.

She crashed into it. Her frantic fingers fumbled with the lock. Open! Open! Open! It clicked. She grabbed the handle. Twisted. Levi's whole body slammed against the door.

"Did you really think you could get away?"