In the Eye of the Storm (pt.15)

'Hey...Lilith?" I said overly-cheerfully as I knocked on her door. "Remember how I asked you if I could save Hunter?"

Hunter raised his eyebrow, and I blushed. "Well...I did," I whispered to him, squeezing his hand. "A ton of times, actually."

He blushed too, and looked away.

Lilith answered through the door. "(Y/N). It's three in the morning...."

"Well...uh, anyways, it looks like we don't have to after all!" I said, pressing on.

Lilith swung the door open, taking in the sight of me, Thursday, Flapjack, and a muddy and tearstained Hunter.

She stepped back, staring at him wide eyed. "(Y/N)...What the Titan am I looking at?!"

"Uh...hi!" He said weakly. "I uh...I just came back from the Emperor's...Mind!"

*******

Needless to say, after about ten minutes of his explanations, Lilith let him stay.

"So...do you want a guest room, or do you want to share my room?" I asked as I led him up the stairs.

He shrugged numbly, not really answering. "So...we're not real witches, then." He mumbled as we reached the top of the stairs.

"Well...Yes and no? I think...I think I kind of am...from my deductions, Lune, the one who I'm a copy of, was a witch. But Caleb was a human." I said hesitantly. "But I am still...you know. A clone."

Hunter winced at the word, shoulders slumping. "What else do you know about our...well, our...ortets?"

"Well...I know that Caleb wasn't anywhere near as bad as Belos, at least according to the journal."

Hunter looked away. "Belos..."

I cringed, realizing I was being far too casual about all this. "Are you sure you wanna talk about this right now? You don't have to, although I'm always happy to listen."

He sighed. "I...I don't know."

I smiled, taking his hand. "Hey, that's okay too. Just talk if you feel the need to. There's no pressure here, dude."

He smiled wearily, squeezing my hand. "Hey...(Y/N)? Is it okay if I...stay in your room tonight? With you?"

"Of course." I smiled. "I'm always happy to have you, no matter what."

"Thank you." He murmured, and cleared his throat. "So. This place is new..."

"Actually, it's old- It's a Deadwardian house!" I grinned. "But yeah, it's new to us."

He hummed. "I like the lantern squash."

"Oh, thanks! Lilith and I just decorated for Eerie season." I said. "There's even more of them in my room, speaking of which..." I swung my room's wooden door open. "Here's the new quarters."

"Oh, it looks nice!" He smiled, looking around.

I nodded. "So...do you want the bed or the floor? Or- actually, we could both do the floor-" we should make a blanket fort!"

He tilted his head. "A...what?"

"A blanket fort." I grinned, gathering some soft autumnal blankets from my designated blanket chest. "It's like those wilderness shelters we made in training, but even better."

*******

"And...done." I said, activating the last light glyph. I sat next to Hunter and threw a blanket over his shoulders.