Masks and Bets

I stared in the mirror as I finished getting ready. I had a mission today, so I had to look top-notch- not because I wanted to impress anyone, but because I wanted to be envied. Was it kind of vain? Yes. Did I care? Not really, no.

I screwed a fang onto my canine tooth and grinned in the mirror. I filed my nails a bit sharper, and swiped on some blood-red lipstick, slipped on my mask- and....perfect. I was ready.

I started down the hall, heels clicking loudly. It was probably obnoxious, but I didn't really mind bothering the scouts. I did feel a bit bad for them- after all, I was a scout once, and it was painfully boring- but they signed up for it, right?

I reached my colleague's room as the sun rose. On my toes to avoid making any sound, I inched the door open slowly. He looked peaceful, although he slept with his mask on...what a dork. Once again, I wondered how this guy was my main competition.

I didn't want to disturb him, but he took like an hour to get ready...I sighed. It had to be done.

"Hey, Goldie, wake up." I said, leaning on the door frame.

"Hnnghh...no..." He mumbled and tried to wave me away.

"Don't make me do you-know-what..." I said a bit louder.

"Go away." He shoved his face into his pillow.

"I'm gonna do it..."

"I don't care."

"Oh, you will." I sighed and cast a quick spell. A torrent of water hit the Golden Guard, and I ran out of the room before he could kill me.

I giggled despite myself as I heard him screaming about revenge.

Today was gonna be a good day.

*******

Today was not a good day.

"Wait wait wait. Hol' up there, sir. You want me to run a fancy...gala?! Me?! You're joking." I snapped, glaring at Emperor Belos.

"We need recruits, (Y/N). You and Lilith are the faces of our coven- recruits will increase if you run a public event."

"What about Goldie? He's popular!" I protested.

"The Golden Guard isn't ready, so I need someone more trustworthy to...run it with my wayward nephew."

I could see Goldie flinch out of the corner of my eye. I looked back up at Belos.

"'The Golden Guard isn't trustworthy', eh? Sir, I had you pegged as a theater kid, but you might need to get that drama checked. It's kinda going from dramatic 'flair' to 'geyser', you feel me? The Golden Guard is so dedicated to you that he won't even let me prank you- he's probably the most trustworthy one here. And that isn't a compliment."

Goldie started to frantically draw lines across his neck. He always seemed to think I was going too far for some reason.

"Nonetheless," Belos began, a spark of irritation in his eyes, "You are a valuable asset, (Y/N), and this is your assignment- one you will work on with my nephew."

"But sir! What if...and hear me out....what if I had a day off? Ooh, and bought a motorcycle! Do you know what those are? The Owl Lady says humans use them to fight giraffes. So I probably need one. And the Golden Guard...Goldie should just ride a giraffe! For once he'd know how it feels to not be short!"

"(Y/N)." Belos said sternly.

"Shh- sir, I need to think of a noble steed for you. Hey Golden one, what do you think?"