Oneshot: O' Human Child (Human Hunter AU pt.2)

Hunter

  I woke up with my head pounding.

"Uggghhh..." I groaned, looking around the room. It was old and mostly empty, and I was lying on a blanket on the floor...It definitely wasn't military camp, that's for sure. I winced as I thought back to yesterday...thank goodness Uncle Belos hadn't noticed Lilith in his office, I didn't want to imagine what would have happened in that scenario...

Oh yeah. Lilith. Lilith said I could be her apprentice! I grinned and sat up, my headache starting to dissipate.

There was an old closet in the room that I tentatively opened. Inside were rows of witchy clothes...nothing I liked very much, with the exception of a pair of boots at the back of the closet. They had a mostly unnoticeable heel that made me seem a few inches taller, which was highly appreciated. For the rest of my witch apprentice outfit...I gave up and wore a t-shirt and jeans. It was...it was good enough. I decided to grab my letterman jacket to finish my weird outfit, and headed downstairs.

Lilith was in the kitchen, focusing on what looked to be a detailed model of some academy.

She looked up at the sound of my footsteps. "Oh! Good morning, Hunter!"

"So...what're we going to do today?" I asked, trying to hide my enthusiasm.

Lilith stood up and stretched. "Not much today, I'm afraid. Being my apprentice won't be a walk in the park, human...I'd love to get straight to teaching, but I have a lead on a time-pool location- I'll be busy. Your first task will be to simply deliver potions- it should be pretty easy, even for a human."

I scowled. "Humans can do things too..."

Lilith nodded, not fully paying attention. "I'm sure you can handle it, but just in case, I'll have (Y/N) lend you a hand."

"Oh." I slumped, picturing the teenage demon from yesterday. "I can handle it without help though- I do stuff like this for my uncle all the time."

Lilith stiffened at the mention of Uncle Belos- I guess she didn't see him in the most positive light, but she saw yesterday's...incident out of context. I was sure she'd come around if she gave him a chance- but that was something for future me to think about.

"Well...you have all day to try on your own before (Y/N) gets out of school to help you. See how it goes- after all, discovery is built on experimentation." Lilith stood a bit straighter as she recited the mantra- I could tell she really was passionate about knowledge. It was hard to believe I had been so scared of her just yesterday, though to be fair- with her scary piercing eyes, dark hair, and claws...she was still pretty intimidating.

Actually, (Y/N) was pretty intimidating too, making me all the less enthused to not be working alone.

"Well...Okay. I guess I'll get going..." I shrugged, swinging the sack of potions over my shoulder.

"Just one last thing. You'll need to cover those ears- the people around here aren't quite fond of humans." She tossed me a cloak.

"Uh...thanks!" I shrugged it on, pulling the hood over my round ears. Lilith nodded, refocused on her work.

"Umm..byyye!" I waved, stepping out the door.

"Oh- and be back before nightfall- or else." She waved.

*******

Head held high, I entered the city of Bonesborough. The place was crawling with eldritch horrors and lovecraftian monstrosities- but it was far away from military camp, so I wasn't complaining. Military camp was really made for young adults, but Belos said I should start early. Then I might have a chance of taking over his position someday.