Mindscapers (pt. 14)

"Hey, Nico? What's a crush?" I ask, tapping my feet on the cavern floor.

He looks startled, turning to look at me. "Wha- who told you about that?"

I giggle, smiling. "Emira Blight."

He snorted. "Alador's kid?"

I nod firmly. "Yes."

Nico shakes his head and sits next to me at the table. "Do you even know who Alador is?"

"No." I answer.

He ruffles my hair and grins. "Well, he was someone I went to school with. I had a crush on him as a second year, which means that I thought about him a lot and kind of wanted to take him on a date."

"Like a prince?"

He smiles good naturedly. "Exactly. Like a prince."

"Can you have crushes on girls, too?" I ask curiously.

"Of course- some people only get crushes on girls, actually, and some people only get crushes on boys. I get crushes on both." He explains.

"I think I like both too." I nod.

"Oh, do you like someone?" Nico asks curiously.

"Two people- I like this girl in my class named Viney, and I like my friend Edric. They're cute!" I exclaim. "So can I take them to the ball?"

"What ball?" Nico chuckles.

I frown. I didn't think that far ahead, actually.

"I dunno."

"Well...maybe when you're a bit older." Says Nico. "I mean, you're what, six?"

"I'm seven!" I say, offended.

"Oh, terribly sorry, my liege." Nico grins.

"You're teasing!" I accuse.

"What? I would never!" He says, still teasing.

"You're a jerk, Neeks!" I say, hitting him with a spoon.

"Ow, okay! I apologize, your majesty-" He says, still laughing.

"Nico, are you messing with (Y/N) again?" Says Adam, stepping into the room.

"M-Maybe-" Nico chokes out through his laughter.

"Yeah, he is, Adam! Punish him!" I shriek, laughing.

"Hm, how about...time out?" Adam grins, resting his head on his chin.

"Ahh, nooo! Not time out!" Nico says, falling onto the floor with a loud clang as his armor hits the stone.

"Yuuuup. Get to the corner, Neeks." Says Adam, jabbing his thumb towards the far corner of the room.

"Wait, seriously?" Nico says in his normal voice.

"Yuh-huh.." Adam nods.

"But Adam-"

"Ha, you're goin' to timeout!" I grin, laughing.

As Nico scowls and grumbles and sits in the corner, the scene shifts.

*******

Now I sit next to Edric and Emira, eating lunch.

"So...then mom yelled at us again." Edric says, probably finishing a story. "It was worth it though, the look on Amity's face was hilarious."

"Doesn't it seem a bit...extreme to mess with her project?" I frown.

"She had it coming, (Y/N)." Em says, rolling her eyes. "She shouldn't have told mom that I was learning healing magic!"