Oneshot: Strange Things at Eclipse Lake (pt.1)

I gripped the mask tightly as I painted it's chipped surface. The gold paint was all over my hands, but it wouldn't matter once I got my gloves on. I used a fire glyph to dry the paint, and looped the mask over my head. In the mirror, I looked intimidating. Eyes are the window to the soul, so with a mask that covered those, I was mostly unrecognizable. It only covered my eyes, but I had a fabric mask if I needed to cover my mouth too.

I checked my bag, making sure I had everything I'd need...glyphs, pens, a notepad, bandage, a few potions...good. I laced my boots and pulled on my gloves. Time to go.

I threw the window open and hopped onto my staff. My palisman, a little cat skeleton, suited me as the kid who was way too into Halloween in the human world...but here, I was the Moon Witch.

The sky was beautiful, but I didn't have time for that. I was on a mission today, and had no time to lose. Eda had called me to help her find titan's blood on the knee, and she had saved my butt too many times for me to deny any of her requests.

It took a while to get to the knee, so in the meantime I thought about...life. The mask was necessary because I was a wild witch. With it on, I was the Moon Witch- one of the most powerful witches on the boiling isles after Lilith and Eda lost their magic- but with it off, I was just...(Y/N), I guess. I envied the Moon Witch when I was (Y/N). It was easy to wisecrack and be boisterous behind a mask, but as (Y/N), I had to deal with the anxieties and pressures of normal life. Without my prowess as a powerful witch and a force to reckon with, I was treated differently....because (Y/N) was a powerless witch. Well, to be fair, so was the Moon Witch, but I had glyphs and my palisman as the Moon Witch. As (Y/N), I had to give those up so that no one would realize we were the same person. And...it sucked. It really sucked.

I used to have friends who lacked magic too, but...well, I don't know. We lost touch. Stopped talking. The usual. It didn't help that I lived in the human world for a few years, and didn't contact my old friends at all.

Well..'friends' is generous. It was one friend, but whatever.

I pulled my coat tighter. It was getting colder...I must be approaching the destination.

"Moony! Bone cat! There ya are!"

Eda!

I hopped off my staff. "Eda! King! I've missed you guys!" I grinned and ran towards them.

"It's been forever, kid! What've you been up to outside of messing with the Emperor?"

I shrugged. "Oh, you know...running my potions stand, taking down my wanted posters, painting things that don't belong to me...the usual. Who's lavender-head over there?"

"This is Amity-"

"I'm Amity Blight. You're...you're the Moon Witch, aren't you?"

I nodded, smiling. "Pleasure to make your acquaintance. I'm probably gonna keep calling you Lavender."

She sighed. "I guess it could be worse."

"So Eda, is this the 'new apprentice' of yours I've been hearing about? Wait- you're not a human, are ya Lavender. So...who is this 'new apprentice'?"

"Luz the human. Boots here is my apprentice's new girlfriend!"

"Cuuute. Is the human hot?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"W-well, yeah-" She blushed.

"Good for you Lavender! Glad you're living your best life!" I turned to Eda. "Just out of curiosity...what is the mission anyways?"