Lost Threads (pt.11)

Her eyes flashed with recognition. Lilith and Nico didn't seem to notice, moving past her and into the house, but I stayed at the doorway.

"Hi." I said softly. "You're....Sparrow Bryony."

She nodded, eyes wide.

"(Y/N)?"

*******

Nico leaned into the room, staring over Lilith's shoulder.

"What the heck is your mom talking to Cinder about?" She muttered.

Nico frowned. "No idea. I'm starting to think Cinder probably isn't your cousin." He frowned harder, seeming to realize something. "Actually, Cinder is probably another one of those guards- er-"

"What guards?" Said Lilith, raising an eyebrow.

"Pfft, the security guards at school!" He said loudly. "You know how good ol' Eda an' I are always in trouble with...security guards..."

Lilith stared suspiciously. "Then explain why Cinder claimed to be my cousin."

"To....sneak in."

Nico cringed as he spat out unconvincing lies. No, he was sure he knew what was going on here....but as much as he loved her, Lilith was not entirely trustworthy when it came to coven related things. She idolized them, so Nico couldn't exactly tell her about the coven scouts who spied for his mom.

That is, of course, at the cost of sounding like an utter fool.

"....And that's my reasoning as to why I believe Cinder 'Clawthorne' is a human security guard from...mars!" He finished his unhinged claims grinning widely.

Lilith looked uncomfortable.

Nico coughed, making a mental note to bug his guardians about this incident later.

*******

Sparrow led me to the living room, and we sat down.

"How are you here?" She asked, still in a state of shock. "You're older than Nico, but...that's impossible!"
"I'm not from this time. I used time pools to travel into the past...well, in hopes of finally finding you." I explained bluntly.

"Oh." She nodded, still looking terribly shocked. "So....I'm not there. In the future."

....Maybe...maybe I shouldn't have...said that.

"Er...."

"That sounds about right." She nodded.

I looked up, raising my eyebrows. "What?!"

She met my eyes, the shock completely gone. "I didn't write everything into those journals, you know." She whispered, a dark look in her eyes.

"What....what do you mean?!" I said, clenching my fists.

She sighed. "Oh, lower your hackles, (L/N)- it's nothing too sinister. Mostly."

*******

Lilith and Luz clamored out of the Deadwardian time pool in a daze. It had been a disappointing...yet unfortunately informative adventure- the sort that leaves one wishing they could just disappear into their blankets and just exist in safety and comfort for the next million years.

Sadly, this was not an option for Lilith Clawthorne- A witch of many names, but at the moment, the most important one was 'guardian'.

For unfortunately, her ward had vanished into thin air, leaving nothing but a note that read: 'Gone 2 find the bryonys. I'll be back l8r. Love you Mom! - <3 (Y/N)'