Deleted Scene 3

Trigger warning: Death, allegedly. And loads of angst.

Context: (Y/N) and Hunter have been close friends for a long time. Takes place right after season two begins

Why I scrapped it: This was the first half of a oneshot I never finished- a sort of successor to 'Just Another Night'

*******

A knock sounded on my door.

"Sir, you're being called down for an emergency announcement, so...you might wanna....attend it, I guess?" The scout's voice was muffled, but the message was clear enough. I threw my cloak on and exited the room, giving the scout a nod.

I yawned- what could possibly be so important for Belos to wake me up at four in the morning- two hours early! There had to be a decent reason for such a change in schedule, right? Maybe (Y/N) had returned from that mission! I smiled at the thought. (Y/N) had joined the coven when I was thirteen, and despite clashing at first, we had managed to form a bond as the years went by.

I remembered the day we had really become friends- (Y/N) had failed a mission and had lost dining privileges as punishment, and feeling sympathetic, I had snuck a loaf of bread up to (Y/N)'s room. I smiled slightly at the memory, and unconsciously walked with a bit of a spring in my step. If (Y/N) is home, then maybe we can go flying...Or a duo mission, those are fun- or maybe we'll get left alone on a dangerous mountain, forced to rely on each other to survive- such a classic training method!

I reached the throne room, still smiling although it was hidden by my golden mask.

"You wanted to see me, uncle?" I said, kneeling in front of the throne. My smile wavered as I glanced around the room- The coven heads were whispering amongst themselves, and Raine Whispers in particular looked sick. What's going on?

"That I did nephew." He said calmly. The temperature of the room seemed to drop. "You see, missions don't always go well, so I must break to you some very unfortunate news..." The Emperor paused, as if he was waiting for me to give some kind of reaction, decided my slight tremble was satisfactorily anxious, and continued. "(Y/N) (L/N) was killed in a recent mission."

No. No...no.

How?! WHY?

NO!

I slowly stood up, head spinning.

"No. No. Please..."

"You alright there, Little Prince?" Darius said flatly.

I retreated towards the door. It wasn't true, it couldn't be, (Y/N) was fine, right?!

"No. No! (Y/N)- (Y/N) is fine! Ha-ha, nice prank guys! You- you really had me- you had me fooled there for a second! Ha! Please never do this again! Ha...heh...(Y/N), please..."

"I'm afraid there's no tricks here, nephew." Belos said calmly.

I tried to repress a strangled sob. I had slipped to the ground at some point, and I pulled his mask off to wipe my face before replacing it, painfully aware of the looks I had earned at my show of weakness. I stood up, wishing I could take my mask off and wipe my eyes...or take off my face and just not feel things...

Everything was blurry....

"Uncle," I said. It came out as a whisper, "Who did it?"

"We don't know."

"Are we looking?!" I roared, blood pumping through my head. We had to find the murderer, we had to-

"Watch your tone." Hissed Belos, his voice dripping with venom.

"But sir-" I protested, voice breaking. We have to-

"HUNTER. We are done here. Go cool down in your room." The Emperor growled.

I flinched.

"O-okay." I whispered, turning towards the door with my head low.