~ Chapter 30 ~

July 4th

July 4th

~in the middle of the night~

Kakashi

Kakashi leaned over the sink in the dark bathroom, panting heavily. Sweat ran down his forehead as he tried to catch his breath, slowly turning on the faucet to scrub his hands clean.

Tears pricked in the corner of his eyes as he stared at his right hand. It was worse, worse than ever before.

He often saw his friends die in front of his eyes in his dreams, but it was nothing compared to this night.

Hanako blamed him for killing Rin. For not protecting her. She accused him of not rescuing Obito for being a brat who lets his comrades die without hesitation. For allowing her almost to die even though she was begging him to carry her.

She yelled at him about how much she hated him for everything he did.

For kissing her.

For wanting to be close to her.

For loving her.

"Ka..Kakashi?" Hanako's quiet whisper filled the bathroom as she entered slowly. "Hey.." she stepped closer and placed her hand on Kakashi's upper arm.

He took another deep breath and spilled water into his face before drying it off. "Go sleep, Hanako." He whispered strictly.

"I.. I heard you.. Did you have a nightmare again?" Her grip around his upper arm tightened, but Kakashi just clenched his jaw, slapped her hands away and left the bathroom quietly not to wake the others.

"Kakashi!" She followed him outside the room they shared with their Team and the princess.

It was a pattern, same argument, same defence, same result. "You need to talk to me!"

Kakashi stopped in his tracks and turned around. The storm outside grew louder with each second. Rain and snow mixed together, making the two shiver in the middle of the night in nothing but their sleeping clothes.

"What do you want, Hanako?"

Hanako

"I want you to talk to me." It wasn't the first time since they went on this journey that Hana found him heaving over the sink in the middle of the night, but this time it seemed worse. She wanted to help him desperately, but helping Kakashi was like running in circles.

"Hana. We've been through this, and I am fine. Go back inside. You'll catch a cold." He said and turned around to walk away, but she was quick enough to grab his wrist.

"No, Kakashi. I want to help you. I deserve to know what's hunting you in your dreams! You look dead tired, you know? How do you want to lead us when you're exhausted?"