Bal Masqué

Duke Yang paced around his room, trying to decide wether he was happy or not regarding the invitation he had just received.

He had been invited to one of the most prestigious balls of the capital, if not the most, and he had no choice but to go.

This year however, the host, Prince Kim had specified that it would be a Bal Masqué.

That meant a little more privacy that these events usually offered, and that sounded good. Plus actually dressing up and wearing a mask could be fun.

The Duke sighed. He had been going through a difficult period in his life and he decided that a little fun could be good for him, even though a little voice inside his head screamed the opposite.

See, Duke Yang was very tired of this noble appearances. Hopefully, his days were quite busy taking care of his land, so he avoided most of the normally obligatory social interactions.

Cause who needed social interaction anyway, right?

Duke Yang chuckled.

Not him. At least not with all those Earls, Barons or Viscounts that were only interested in him because he was higher in hierarchy than them.
No, he definitely didn't need them.

"Sir, pardon me" a calm voice said.

The Duke turned around. He hadn't even noticed that Yeosang was there.

"Hum?" he asked, giving the latter permission to go on.
"Have you decided what to wear?" he asked. "Or at least a color? So that I can make the arrangements for your attire."

Duke Yang nodded.

"I would like my blue velvet jacket please" he answered.
"Very well my Lord" instantly replied Yeosang. "May I pair it with white pants?"
"That seems perfect" agreed the Duke.
"I'll get everything ready for you, my Lord" finally said Yeosang, ready to leave.

"Just one thing" added the Duke as Yeosang was about to leave.
"My Lord?" asked Yeosang.
"Stop calling me that" said Jungwon.
"I could never, my Lord" replied Yeosang. "You are the Duke, and I am a mere servant."
"You are not a mere servant" said the Duke in protest, however he knew Yeosang wouldn't want to hear it.

He never did, even though the Duke had asked him a thousand times not to call him likewise.

The bedroom door silently closed behind Yeosang, leaving the Duke alone.

"You are my best friend" he whispered.

~

There were no words to describe the luxury of the Bal Masqué.

Prince Kim was known to have impeccable taste and to love organizing parties, which bode very well.
Even the Duke, who hated these kind of events, had to admit that everything was exquisite.

The royal Ball Room had been carefully decorated with flowers on top of the columns and at the end of the stairs that lead to the dance floor.
Countless servants walked around the invitees, offering them refreshments and foods.
Everything seemed perfectly planned and all of the guests were as amazed as the Duke.

Speaking of guests, the Duke had been right. As everyone wore a mask, it was indeed difficult to guess who was there.
That meant the Duke would be able to avoid the ones he didn't to interact with.

But if I stay alone for too long, people will come to me

He knew that from experience. Painful experience.

The best disguise was probably to join the next dance, because it provided a good excuse not speak, and just to dance.

The Duke loved to dance.

It was his only true motivation to be here, if he didn't count the fact that refusing a Royal invitation would be considered as highly offensive.

Hopefully the last dance just ended, and Duke Yang mingled quite easily among the dancers, wondering who he would be paired up with.

The slight confusing that always came with the beginning of a new song ended and the Duke looked in front of him, only to discover a young man as well.

It wasn't unusual to see pairs of women or men dancing together, however it was the very first time for the Duke.
He was used to young aristocrat girls to run after him, so this was a refreshing change.

Plus, the young man in front of him was quite intriguing.

He had faded blond hair and piercing eyes that had locked with the Duke's and wouldn't look away for a second.

His mask was indeed beautiful and the Duke definitely wanted to examine it from closer.

The music started and automatically, the two walked towards each other, raising their right arms until their wrist were touching. They slowly danced in a circle, linked by their wrists. 

The Duke took advantage of this slow paced dance to examine his partner better.
He also had a blue velvet vest and white trousers.
However, the Duke couldn't focus on his attire for too long.

Every time he looked away he just felt the piercing eyes on him and somehow he had to look back up again.

As simply as that the Duke was kind of hypnotized by his dance partner.
There was something in his serious expression that intrigued the Duke.

The dance went on and they both executed it perfectly

The dance went on and they both executed it perfectly. As if they had rehearsed together countless times.

The Duke knew it would be ending in a few instants, and he hated that feeling.
He wanted to keep dancing with this mysterious man.
He wanted to see if he would eventually break off his serious expression.
He wanted to get to know him.

However, it wasn't customary to dance with the same partner twice.

While the Duke thought about it, he didn't even notice that his partner had smoothly taken his hand. By the time the Duke came back to reality, his partner had brought his hand closer to his face.

He was still looking into Duke Yang's eyes as he pressed his lips on his hand.

"Thank you for this honor" he said, side smiling at the Duke.