The Grandson Pt 5

TW: loss of loved ones

Jay felt his heart getting heavier and heavier. He had just received unexpected news.

His hands were shaking and the only thing he could see was Jungwon's name on the screen of his smartphone.

~

Meanwhile, said Jungwon was drinking some water. He was exhausted after teaching his second class of the day. His students bowed in front of him as they left the dojang.
As if he had heard his other half thinking about him, Jungwon walked towards his locker to check his phone. His intuition was right. As soon as he looked at the screen, he saw a missed call from Jay, so he called him back.

"Hey" said Jay, in a morose tone.
"What happened?" instantly asked Jungwon, sensing something was off.
"We have to go" said Jay. "Before it's too late."

Jungwon nodded. He had been expecting that phone call for a few days now.

"I'm on my way" he said. "Hang in there, okay?"

Jay didn't answer. Jungwon sighed before taking everything and leaving. Hopefully, he had explained the situation to his boss the week before and the latter had agreed on letting Jungwon leave a few days if necessary.
The cab drove Jungwon to the small apartment he shared with Jay, who was waiting for him in the front of the building's door.

"I'm sorry" said Jungwon, getting closer.

Jay remained silent. He couldn't speak at the moment.

"We'll go through this together" he added, circling Jay in a warm hug.

~

The couple was in a hurry. Hopefully they had found plane tickets that left the same day. They had been horribly pricey, but it didn't matter. Now, they were running in the airport, trying to find their gate.

"To the left!" said Jungwon, pointing at the sign.

Jay simply nodded, following his lifeline, slaloming amongst the other travelers.
They reached the gate a few seconds later, panting and stressed. The staff had just called the last passengers, so they were just in time.

Jay dug deep inside of him to return the staff's smile. She gave him his passport back and closed the door after them.

Jungwon and Jay were the last people to board the plane, so it felt like all the eyes were on them. Jungwon must have noticed Jay's uneasiness, because he naturally took his hand in his and guided him towards their seats.

The flight passed quite fast for Jay, who fell asleep as soon as the plane took off. Jungwon, on the other hand, couldn't seem to fall asleep. He spent hours trying to focus on this or that movie, without success.

The flight attendant passed next to Jungwon, offering some water. The latter accepted. After a sip, he looked over, admiring Jay's peaceful face.

I'm so sorry Jay..
You've been through so much this last year..

Jay slightly moved his head and Jungwon sighed.

Only five hours left, I can do it.

~

Jay and Jungwon entered the building, politely smiling and asking for directions. Of course, they knew the place, especially Jungwon, but they wouldn't be going back to the 6th floor this time.