Hitchiker

Hi everyone! I'm back from camp, I slept for two days straight aaaaand I'm finally back and ready to write again

Disclaimer: this story IS JUST A STORY, please ALWAYS be careful with strangers. I can't stress this enough!!
Also, it's gonna go fast 😌

~

The young man was tired. He had been standing on the side of the road for quite some time now, holding his little sign up. In fact, it had been a little less than an hour of waiting.
He needed a ride until the next big city, where he hoped to find a cheap place to sleep.

He had decided to travel a bit during this summer, and had chosen to hitchhike for the most of it. It was a "risky" decision, especially because you never know who is going to take you in your car, but he wanted to experience it anyway.

He needed to free his mind after his catastrophic semester of university.
He needed the adrenaline of the unknown.
He needed to just leave, not knowing where he would end up.

So he waited more.

One, two, three cars passed by, their drivers not even looking at him. Clouds had become thicker and he could feel a storm coming. A big sight left his lips as he started to regret his decision.

"Hey, going to Daegu?"

The young man shook his head, startled. He had been so focused on his thoughts that he hadn't even noticed the small green car pulled over next to him.

The driver looked young and had a warm smile. He seemed friendly and trustworthy so far.

"Yeah" replied the hitchhiker, showing his sign.
"That's where I'm headed!" replied the driver, smiling with a slight dimple. "Want a lift?"

Now, this was the third person to offer the hitchhiker a ride since he had started his trip, but it somehow felt different this time. The driver had something that intrigued the hitchhiker.

"Yes, please" he replied.

~

"I'm Jungwon, by the way!" said the driver, as he turned the car engine back on.
"My name is Jay" replied the hitchhiker.

Jungwon nodded as he heard the name. His fingers were moving on the wheel, highlighting the rhythm of the music coming out of the radio.

"I'm kinda glad" added Jungwon. "I've always wanted to drive with a hitchhiker!"
"Really?" asked Jay, not expecting that at all.
"When I was younger, I used to hitchhike a bit" explained the driver. "I've been telling myself that if I'd ever get a car, I'd repay the ones who helped me out by helping hitchhikers."
"Wow" commented Jay. "So does this means I'm your first hitchhiker?"
"Exactly" replied Jungwon, his dimples showing more evidently this time.

Jay smiled as well. He didn't really know how to explain it, but it felt like he had been waiting all this time, watching all of the cars pass by him just to meet this guy specifically.
Jungwon had a calm and reassuring aura that could put anyone at ease instantly. He also had a mesmerizing and contagious smile.

"So, why Daegu?" asked Jungwon, as the song stopped and another one started.
"I don't really have a reason" started Jay. "I just want to see how many cities I can visit in two weeks, and Daegu was the closest."
"Cool!" commented Jungwon. "Summer break, I presume?"
"Yeah" confirmed Jay, trying not to think about his horrible semester. "I needed to change my mind I guess."