26. City-wide View

Start from the beginning

“Have you heard of Sally’s Diner?” He asked. The name quickly rang a bell. It’s Ms. Bella’s diner. The one she opened a long time ago!

“Yes! Ms. Bella always talks about that place!” I jumped in my seat.

“You know Ms. Bella?” He asked, sounding a bit shocked.

“Yeah. Do you?” I asked.

“She’s a family friend. I’ve known her for a few years.” Mike began to pull up to the diner. The beautiful diner with neon lights was very fitting for the time. 

“I may have talked about you to her.” I blushed.

“It’s fine.” Mike opened the door. Before he got out, he turned to me. “Because I may have talked about you to her too.” So I guess we both talked about each other to Ms. Bella. That woman knows our business because we can't shut up about each other.

The inside of the diner was lit up with glowy lights. Only a few people were in. One table had a senior couple who were drinking a milkshake together. Imagine that. Growing old with the person you love. A paragon of relationships. And it’s something I truly want for myself. 

The table, upon sitting on it, was cold on my ass. I shivered, probably regretting putting on light jeans rather than thicker ones. The plastic laminated menu at the center of the table had a bit of stains from the years of use. That probably just means that this place is so good that they never have to change the menu. 

“Mike. Please, let me pay.” I pleaded to the man in front of me. He set the menu down.

“Ant. How many times do I have to say this?” He said. He got up and sat next to me. “I will always pay for us. It’s not up for discussion.” He said. I nudged him.

“One day I’ll pay for something, Mike.” I finished saying just as a woman with a bright pink uniform with a white apron walked up to our table. She held a booklet and pencil, her frizzy blonde hair pushed back in a messy bun. No doubt she’s had a long day.

“What can I get you two fellas?” She asked in a voice that’s a little too cheery for it to almost be midnight. 

“Can I get a cheeseburger and onion rings?” Mike said.

“And I’ll get a chicken burger with a vanilla milkshake.” I said. She nodded and left while we put the menus in the center of the table. The Bee Gees were playing from the jukebox. A few patrons at the bar were drinking beers while flirting with the waitresses. That old couple at the table began to leave. I watched from the window as the man opened the door for his wife and both got in.

“What’s on your mind?” Mike asked. I turned to face him with lovey-dovey eyes. 

“Ever wondered who you’d marry?” I asked, looking deep in his eyes. “And if you want to grow old with them?” I asked. Mike’s face was silent.

“The thought of marriage never intrigued me.” He said. I stayed quiet. I just realized I never really thought about marriage. Because, you know, I don’t like women. “But recently, I’ve thought differently.” Mike added. His hand grabbed mine and his finger began to rub on my ring finger.

“Could we possibly get married?” I whispered to him, my optimistic and love-sick brain wondering this question for a while.