Chapter 49

Ch 49 — Trap

A mysterious rumour that began with the 'disappearance' of a messenger.

"Did you hear about it? Apparently, the divine power of Solarism can't normally cure infectious diseases like this one."

"Then what was Saintess Olivia doing during the day?"

It started at a tavern that was located in a corner of the capital. The tavern was so small that only close acquaintances knew that it was owned by the Ezzarson Guild.

"So... you're saying that Saintess Olivia is a fake?"

"What...?"

An even more terrifying image was added onto the already dangerous rumour of how 'Saintess Olivia is a fake'.

"Then what was that power?"

"You didn't hear? Apparently it's forbidden magic."

"What? F-Forbidden magic...?!"

The bad news travelled quickly. Within a few days, there was no one within the capital that hadn't heard of that rumour.

***

Around the time when the rumour spread and eventually reached inside the Great Temple of the Sun God.

"W-Where did that sort of nonsense come from...!"

"You think it's nonsense? Just go and ask that woman and you'll know."

It was Lydia, who had appeared at the front steps of the Great Temple without even so much as a sound.

The words she relayed to the High Priest, who was trying to understand the circumstances of the incident, gave him quite a huge shock. "I'm saying that the power you've been worshipping until now is one that belongs to a demon."

In any case, he had been rather frustrated at the fact that Olivia refused to open her mouth for whatever reason she had. But to think that the words that slowly came out would turn his world upside down like this...

* * *

"Damn it...!"

After Lydia's visit, the High Priest of Solarism couldn't even eat properly, let alone sleep due to his anxiety.

'Forbidden magic? Demonic contract? Damn it all!'

The words she had said had explained everything that had remained unexplainable until now.

The High Priest tore at his own white hair and gnashed his teeth.

'Is that woman crazy...?! And all while she had the name as a saintess too!'

He swore at Olivia, who he had sincerely respected as a precious saintess just last week. The most intolerable of them all to him was the attitude of the High Priestess of Lunarism.

"The power you've been worshipping until now is one that belongs to a demon."

He had known earlier that she was a half-demon.

Sixty years ago, the passing Lydia had chanced upon him while he was doing odd jobs. She had told him that he had a unique ability, and showed him how to release his divine power. Thanks to this ability which was greater than expected, he became the high priest at a young age. He tried asking around for her so he could express his thanks, but she had disappeared like the wind.

Then, he met her again ten years ago. When he heard that there was a woman who could hear Lunar's voice, and that she had become Lunarism's High Priest, he went to meet her.