Chapter 37

Ch 37 — I Just Avoided the Bad Ending

Ziken's arrogant smile that was directed toward me somewhat reminded me of a hunter's satisfied smile upon capturing his prey. I let out a snort in disbelief at his absurdity and opened my mouth while trying to hold back my laughter.

[Ara] "It's imperative to take action quickly in an epidemic like this. We had to start implementing restrictions and quarantining quickly to prevent endangering other areas from being infected."

[Ziken] "Even if that was the case, that still doesn't mean you have the right to take control of the area without permission."

So you just want me to dazedly watch on until I get your permission while the epidemic spreads all over the place?

[Ziken] "And, who sets the criteria for a 'dangerous' situation? Then haven't you now created a justification for anyone in the empire to seize authority if they, like you, can exercise authority that hasn't been delegated to them by simply determining a situation as 'dangerous'?"

He spat it out when I didn't reply to him, as if he wanted now was the right time to say it.

Although his words were a bit far-fetched, they were still true in some ways. If anyone could do this just by saying it was 'dangerous' as an excuse, then the line that signified overstepping into the Imperial Palace's territory would become more and more unclear. Some people would even say that there was a problem with the fairness of it all.

'But this isn't a democratically governed country... so now only the Crown Prince is able to make that judgement, but...?'

But it was clear to everyone that the situation now was a grave one.

As I was thinking of something that I couldn't bring to actually say, Linden suddenly interrupted me.

[Linden] "I did it. If anyone has to take responsibility, it's me."

Linden gave me a slight smile when I turned my head in shock.

Although Linden was the one who was restricting the areas, I was the one who started it. So it was only right for me to be the one who took responsibility for it. I began to start feeling apologetic first since Linden had only come forward to protect me to prevent my fight with Ziken from escalating any further.

You didn't have to cover it up like this though...

In any case, Ziken, who claimed that it was a challenge to the imperial family's authority should have nothing to say since Linden, who was part of the imperial family, had started it. But contrary to my expectations, Ziken crossed his arms and shot back at Linden.

[Ziken] "And you got permission from Father?"

There was a hidden meaning in his words that came suddenly.

[Ziken] "What right do you have to take responsibility for assuming such control in the capital when you don't even have permission to do so?"

[Linden] "..."

It was a threat that was synonymous to him saying, 'How dare you, who hasn't even been acknowledged by Father yet, mess with me on my turf?'. His meaning was that if Linden was responsible for this situation, he would consider it as a challenge to his own authority as the crown prince.

[Ziken] "Tell me. Who was the one in charge of everything?"

Ziken, who was reaching to try and fit our situation into his agenda, left us in a dilemma. Whether I was trying to challenge the imperial authority, or whether Linden was openly acknowledging his challenge against the Crown Prince.