Chapter 29

Ch 29 — Standing Right in Front of You

Ziken must have felt it too since he suddenly retreated a few steps back. However, he stepped forward again to retort, perhaps because his ego was wounded.

"What's with you?"

The surrounding area became even noisier with whispers of, 'What's wrong with that person', and, 'Did they come with the Princess?'. Although it was a natural consequence of Ziken's shouting, I could tell without even having to look around that all the attention in this large funeral hall was now focused on us.

"Who is interrupting the conversation between the crown prince and princess?"

It was an implication that he'd have to pay the price if he wasn't at a high enough position.

I couldn't hide the absurdity on my face.

Don't tell me, you don't know who Lecht is...? I thought since the emperor was aware of Lecht's identity, obviously Ziken, the crown prince would be aware of it too. Didn't Linden recognise him in an instant as well...? Oh, I wasn't in any position to talk since I didn't recognise him either, but weren't Ziken's circumstances completely different to mine?

As I looked at him with an expression as if he was ridiculous, I heard Lecht let out a preposterous snort.

"The fact that you don't recognise me... It seems like the emperor hasn't fully recognised you as the next emperor yet."

Lecht's soft murmur spread throughout the quiet funeral hall, creating a small stir in the crowd. Although his natural speech that lacked formalities as well as his arrogant tone were surprising, what was most surprising to them was probably what he had actually said.

They all looked at each other with wide eyes while others hastily covered their mouths with their hands or fans.

Ziken's eyes widened as if something had stabbed him, his face flushing red in an instant.

"Just what sort of nonsense...!"

Ziken, whose anger had flared up again, was about to begin shouting again, but the female lead who was next to him pulled his arm sharply.

"Livi...?"

Ziken turned his head toward her, as if to ask why she stopped him. However, Olivia's eyes weren't on Ziken but on Lecht instead. She furrowed her eyebrows, as if she had suddenly thought of something, and opened her mouth cautiously.

"Your Excellency, the Grand Duke of Arvis...?"

Ziken's eyes became round like saucers at the name she said as the surrounding crowd also became dead silent.

At the sound of his name, Lecht's gaze, which had been on Ziken, slowly turned to Olivia. Olivia flinched briefly at his gaze before plucking up her courage again and taking a step closer to him.

"It is Your Excellency the Grand Duke, right?"

There were gasps here and there at the words that were spoken one more time, as if to check.

There was no one amongst the empire's nobles that didn't know of Grand Duke Arvis, who was lavished with the trust and favour of the emperor. Nevertheless, this was the first public appearance of him, who was always shrouded in mystery. Their attention was focused on him.

"Do you remember me? I went to the Grand Duchy two years ago go give a 'blessing'...!"

As this was something I wasn't aware of, I looked up at Lecht with wide eyes. And was greeted with his face which was full of displeasure.