Chapter 27

Ch 27 — Sad Because You're Too Nice

I see. So he wasn't given the name Ryno lightly, just because of the way he ran forward ignorantly like a rhinoceros, but it was a name that was given with a deep trust in this child's infinite potential.

"...How cool."

I felt an inexplicable sense of defeat upon hearing the story behind his name.

The woman that was me 100 years ago was really cool. To even be able to let someone keep such wonderful words in their hearts for the rest of their lives.

"There are a lot of people who have been waiting for Your Highness other than me as well! Especially Sir Tanma, the aide, when Your Highness saw his odd eye that was said to be bad luck, and for the first time in his life, he heard you say that 'Your uniqueness will bring good luck'. That's why the aide, who used to wear an eyepatch, now wears a monocle. Haha."

You were even able to make someone else's insecurity something they should be proud of.

"Those bastards who are still waiting anxiously for Your Highness in the demon realm must be so jealous that I've become Your Highness' exclusive errand boy! Since it's thanks to Your Highness that they've been able to protect their pride, and of course, their life!"

You became a life's saviour that makes someone pledge a loyalty that wouldn't fade, even after 100 years had passed by.

'With that promise as my motivation, I've endured an unbearable 100 years.'

You made someone fall so deeply in love that they'd even wait 100 years.

This... there's no way to beat this. How could I win over such a wonderful person who left such a deep mark on the hearts of so many people?

My head drooped. I was disappointed.

I had tried to find out more about myself from 100 years ago to gauge how different we were. If we were too different, I was going to try and satisfy Lecht's expectations and be more like me back then. If that didn't work, then I was going to try and seduce him by acting with more charm than her. But how was I meant to fight with such a big gap between us already from the start?

'To think I could feel such a sense of defeat from myself.'

This world's wellbeing, and the fall of the empire, I suddenly felt as if it were all in vain.

"Y-Your Highness? D-Did I say something wrong? Why are you crying?!"

"I'm not crying."

"Your words and your actions don't match though?!"

I could see Ryno waving his hand in every direction, flustered.

I really didn't want to cry over something like this, but the tears kept coming out of frustration and urgency.

"I-I would like to wipe away your tears, but Your Highness is sitting on my handkerchief...! I-I deserve to die for my sin! I'll go and receive my punishment, so please stop crying!"

Ryno began to beg while saying something extreme again, but I couldn't bear to tell him the truth. How could I tell him that I was crying because I was jealous of myself 100 years ago?

It was then. A large shadow fell over the two of us.

"Last time, you fearlessly confessed your love to my woman, and this time, you made her cry?"

Lecht, who had appeared from god knows where, was looking down at us.

"You wouldn't be able to pay her back for her tears, even with your life."