finale

"DO you really think he won't come?" ana asked, staring at the way the trees blew in the wind while she waited on the stoop of the front porch of her old house with dustin, lucas and max.

they all looked around. lucas was stood against the post with his arms cross and his jacket over max who sat next to ana.

"nah," lucas said. "he has to. mike wouldn't let you leave without saying goodbye. or at least seeing you at least one more time."

dustin nodded in agreement.

all four sighed, resting their heads in their hands for a moment of silence before anais noticed the rest of the boxes that once made her house feel like somewhat of a home. she looked around at her friends and all though none wanted her to go, they all knew it was time.

"max, can you follow me to the backyard?" ana asked as she stood up, hand held out. max looked up and nodded reluctantly, taking the girl's hand and walking to the backyard with her.

anais looked at her friend before pressing the back of her hand to her mouth, trying not to cry. the redhead girl pulled her in for a hug which she accepted fully. the two hugged for a moment, rocking side to side before anais began to speak.

"thank you for being my friend."

they pulled apart, holding each other's arms and looking at each other with teary eyes. "you've been a true friend to me, through everything we've been through and i am so grateful for that, max. you've always stuck up for me, even when tou didn't know i was listening and i'm gonna miss you so much on the road." her voice cracked at the end of the sentence which caused max to pull her back into another hug as both girls began to sob.

"ana- you're one of the best friends i could ever ask for. it's just so comfortable to be around you, you made me forget about all the shit i've been through when we're just together, laughing. i know you gotta leave but promise me you'll coke back one day?"

anais gave a breathy laughed and squeezed max tighter. "of course i'm gonna come back. hawkins is my home, it's where you guys are."

both girls smiled sadly, reveling in the moment before lucas and dustin ran around back to find them in the embrace. they looked at each other before joining in. all four stood hugging, muttering goodbyes to ana and not wanting to let go.

•••

"that's the last of it?" anais asked, looking at the driver.

"that's all, we're ready when you are." the big man with tattoos spoke before going to sit in the front seat of the large bus.

anais turned to look at her four friends and gave a wave to them. they all knew if they hugged again it would be non stop crying.

she bit her lip, looking around for the lanky boy that was missing but he was no where to be seen. her friends could see it in her eyes, how sad she was that mike hadn't come to say goodbye.

"i'll write you guys!"

"you better!" lucas spoke back from across the road. she flashed one last smile bed for turning around with an exhausted facial expression. she knew her friends could tell she was sad, but that didn't mean they had to see it too. she fixed her bag on her shoulder as the doors opened and she grabbed the hand railing, stepping up on to the bus before a loud voice shouting made her freeze.

"ANA," anais turned at the voice, noticing the very pale looking mike standing at the edge of the sidewalk with a sad look on his face. she dropped her bag, backing off the steps off the bus and raced towards him, engulfing the boy in a large hug which they both melted into.