008

monday, october 1st

"WHERE were you last night?" maxine asked as her and anais walked into the school. it was really windy. "i called your house but you didn't answer."

anais turned her head to max, she knew the girl would give her shit if she told her the truth. so she lied. "oh, i was out."

max nodded. "finally warming up to hawkins?"

she smiled, "you could say that." was she warming up to the town or a certain one of it's residents? anais hated the way the thought of mike made her smile like a school girl. she wasn't even sure if she'd be here for long term, so developing a crush this early was way stupid.

when her and max got to the lockers, anais looked down the hallway to see if mike was at his but he wasn't. she sighed a bit and pulled out the hard covered biology book before jumping a little when dustin tapped her shoulder.

"dustin, you scared the shit out of me." anais laughed, giving him a side hug. he smiled at her and max, "sorry, how are you guys?"

"we're good." the pair spoke in unison.

"henderson, mayfield." a voice spoke in a nonchalant tone from down the hall. anais looked over to see a tall tan boy with dark black hair and brown eyes. his face was stoic looking and his eyes tried to be kind-ish but you could tell he really wasn't.

"shit," dustin turned to anais. "be cool."

"why?" she asked, fixing her septum to sit symmetrically.

max rolled her eyes and leaned against her locker. "ignore him, it's just danny 'the jackass' lee."

anais stifled a laugh. "the jackass?"

"you'll see." max sighed, watching the boy walk over.

"who's your friend?" danny asked, giving a teasing smile at anais.

anais glanced at dustin and max before answering. "oh i'm-"

"anais june higgins, i know. it was a rhetorical doll face."

the girl was visibly taken aback. doll face? what was this, 1962? oh get lost.

"i heard the rumors and i didn't know they were true- but here you are."

"here i am." she said in the flattest tone she could manage.

he stuck his hand out. "daniel, everyone calls me danny."

"anais," she said and shook his hand. "just call me ana. never again address me as doll face."

danny laughed and playfully punched her shoulder before turning to max. "this one's just like you huh? she bites."

after that he walked away leaving anais dumbfounded. max looked at her and smiled. "see? danny the jackass lee."

the bell rung and anais took her bag and scoffed. "it was a rhetorical doll face." she mimicked. "who the fuck does he think he is?" she asked, pushing open the door to mr clarke's class. she paused a little when she saw lucas and mike.

a small smile crept on to her face. "hey wheeler, nice jacket." anais said with a slight smirk, he was wearing the tan leather jacket she let him use last night because he got cold.

mike's face got a little pink at the obvious teasing, "thanks."

lucas seemed to be the only person noticing the smirk she was giving him. he elbowed mike and cleared his throat.

change the subject

"what's got you so riled up this morning?" mike asked as he moved over to her table where the rest of the group stood.