021

friday october 13th, 9pm

"NINE months?" ana asked in an unsure tone. she broke eye contact to look at her friends, the people that had traveled miles on a friday night to watch her preform. the people she had spent the last month with, laughing and bonding and crying. what was there to be unsure about?

it would be the biggest break of her career. anais had been waiting for a moment like this since she first picked up that microphone in 1983 and sung for a crowd. this was the dream; on tour with her music and supporters. peace of mind and the open road, so what was holding her back?

it was mike.

she had made this absolutely stupid decision to start liking him and she knew from the moment they shared that kiss on a wednesday afternoon that she was gone for, she liked him. she liked him so much. but was it worth hindering her career? was it worth staying in a weird, creepy town?

it might've been.

"ana?"

"huh?" she turned her attention back to the manager in front of her. "what do you say?"

she stared at him for a second before looking behind him to wear mike stood, smiling and waving at her.

"i need time to think, dave. that's a huge decision."

"i can give you a week."

"a week?" she exclaimed, craning her neck forward to him in shock. "one fucking week?"

"there's nothing to think about! you said you hate this town so let's leave. i need to hear back from you by next friday."

she couldn't even respond. how could she say what was holding her back? she couldn't do it. anais gave him a nod and moved away, walking over anxiously to her group of friends.

"you did amazing!" mike said with a smile, he wrapped his arm around her and pulled her into a hug before pressing a kiss to her head. "i'm so proud of you." he whispered.

all she could do was a force a smile and nod. this is where she wanted to be. right here with mike who made her unbelievably happy, right here with her friends that made her smile. touring was fun, yes, but it was nothing compared to to friday nights spent laying on the floor of someone's room and laughing so hard that you're gripping your sides cause they hurt so bad. nothing compared to early morning bike rides on weekends to lucas' place to watch cartoons with each other, nothing compared to helping steve and robin unbox new movies and shows and then listening to the two talk endlessly about girl problems while she sat and smiled.

but she had only been here a month. what was the big deal if she just packed up and left?

"ana?"

"hm?"

"i asked if you wanted to go get food. are you okay babe?" mike asked in a concerned tone. she felt him wrap an arm around her waist and pull her close to him.

"you smell good." ana muttered, completely ignoring whatever he had said to her. she pulled away from his scent and frowned at the pink lipstick stain she had made in his shirt.

"aw, i'm sorry."

mike looked down at the stain and smiled. "it's okay."

she leaned closer to him, kissing along the collar of the shirt to make more lipstick stains. it was a way of "marking" him. mike laughed at the feeling of her lips tickling his neck.

"okay easy with the pda." marshall spoke, "people are watching." they tilted their head over to the reporters looking at her every move. anais rolled her eyes, "the limo should be ready. do you guys want pizza or something?" anais asked, discreetly holding mike's hand behind her back.