019

"HEY max?" mike asked, walking back into anais' bedroom.

"yes?" max responded, not taking her eyes off of the notebook she was doing her homework in. dustin and lucas sat in the floor next to anais' vanity, looking at all the vintage records she had and discussing what they thought the new album was going to be based on what she listens to.

"it's a solo!" lucas exclaimed, "no way she's only gonna do rock. i think she's gonna expand a little more this album."

"she's a rock artist."

"okay??"

mike rolled his eyes and ignored their bickering. "you've know ana for a while right? how long?"

"almost two years. why?"

"i was just wondering how you met."

max stopped writing and looked up at mike. "i her met while she was on tour in california. i had backstage passes."

"and you became friends?"

"yes," max spoke in an almost spiteful tone. "the best of friends."

mike made a face at max, what did she mean by the tone she was using? "so.. what kind of things did you guys do while she was on tour?"

max smirked to herself, rolling her lips against each other and laughing softly. "all kinds of things. we had fun, mike. a lot of fun."

mike's mouth fell one slightly at her response, "lucas, can i talk to you for a sec?"

"yea what's up." lucas answered, looking up from the various records he held in his hands. he looked at his friend who was by definition, tweaking. the lanky boy looked like he was about to strangle max. lucas put down the records and stood up immediately, walking over to mike and pulling out the room by his arm. he closed the door beyond him before speaking.

"what is wrong with you?" lucas asked.

"i think max likes anais."

lucas paused for a second, staring at mike with a shocked expression. "you think max likes anais?"

"yes." mike said, he folded his arms. "and what if ana likes her back?"

"okay, mike do you even hear yourself right now? maxine and anais?" lucas then heard his own sentence and paused. "wait you might not be wrong."

"what."

lucas shrugged. "people our age like to experiment- i don't know. they've had sleepovers before.. it's not completely out of the question that they've-"

"oh my god stop!" mike screamed, putting his face in his hands and shaking his head at the thought of it. if he didn't get his question answered he felt he might explode. what the hell went on during the summer of 1984?

the door to the room opened and max stepped outside, headphones around her neck and her bag slung over her shoulder. "i gotta leave, i'm gonna do say bye to ana and them."

the boys nodded and watched as max walked down the stairs and to the right where the music room was.

"now that i think about it, they were holding hands a lot during the first week ana was here and giggling a whole bunch."

"what."

lucas gave mike and awkward smile and began to explain what happened that day in the gym while max knocked on the door to the room.

"come in." marshall's voice responded. max opened the door to reveal the three of them with their instruments and some sheet music, each with a semi stoic look on their face.

"no bex, gimme your guitar. the start is like this." anais took bex's instrument and began to play a song. something about seeing anais with hair up, lip bit in concentration and the veins on her hands beginning to show really did something.

by the second time she replayed the chords the girl began to sing.

she's the woman that's on your mind
she's a woman that takes her time
she's the woman that's on your mind
she's a woman that takes her time
yes i feel sweet emotion
every time you're near me
every time you are near

"that's a song that'll take you back." max commented, looking at anais as the girl looked up to her with a smile.

"right back to 1984." anais said, handing bex back his bass. bex paused, slowly turning his head to max and staring at the redhead.

"maxine."

"eric."

"so you're the sparky little redhead chick that used to fuck my girlfriend?" bex asked with some sarcastic joy laced into his voice.

"yup." max spoke with total pride. "better than you could, that's for sure."

marshall stifled a laugh at the drama, looking up from the drums and seeing mike standing at the doorway with his jaw on the floor.

"um, ana.." marshall spoke with an awkward glint in their eyes. anais looked up and her smile slightly dropped when she saw mike staring at her with total shock.

"oh my god." mike said slowly, looking from anais to max and then back. "oh my god." he whined, "you slept with her!"

"mike.." max said with a cringe in her face. she was trying to reel him in but he was too far gone.

"you slept with her!" mike spoke again in a high pitched voice, this time directed at ana.

"michael-"

"you two had sex!" he whisper shouted, putting his hands on his head and turned to leave the room. she was at least thankful he didn't scream it for the whole house to hear.

"great, nice going eric." anais sucked her teeth, slapping the tan boy upside his head.

"hey nobody told you to homie hop."

"well actually i picked it up from you!" she grumbled, stepping over the wires and quickly leaving the room.

anais found mike in the living room, still looking absolutely bewildered. "you and max-"

"yes." the girl spoke, pressing her lips into a nervous line and clasping her hands together. mike knew anais liked girls, she came out to him a while ago- but now he knew she had actually been with a girl. and even worse- a girl that was his friend.

"i can't believe it."

"mike please don't be mad at me." she frowned with a scared expression in her eyes. these things didn't always go well, the whole her liking girls too thing.

"mad at you?" mike asked, looking at her even more confused. "ana i'm not mad at you i'm just..confused, that's all. when did you two have sex?"

"i can't possibly remember all the times-"

"YOU HAD SEX MULTIPLE TIMES??" he shrieked. anais quickly covered his mouth.

"sorry." me mumbled, looking at her annoyed expression.

"yes multiple times but mike it wasn't just sex, okay? i don't just fuck anybody. we were girlfriends." she removed her hands from his mouth.

"girlfriends? why didn't you tell me."

"because i didn't know if max was out. also i didn't want you to freak out which already has happened so.."

"ana, babe, no." mike spoke, pulling her into w hug and kissing the top of her head. "i don't care that you dated a girl. that doesn't matter to me. what i cared about is that the girl is one of my friends- that part freaks me out a little."

anais laughed and slightly pulled away from the hugs, pecking his lips. "well if it makes you feel any better nothing has happened in almost two years now. max and i are just friends now. that's all."

"i'd hope so, she'd be the worst competition." mike sighed, hugging anais again and rubbing her back.

now you know what happened in the summer of 1984..but do you know what else happened?

•••

FAE SPEAKS
it's pride month
here u go
not edited