15

-𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝗱 𝗣𝗼𝘃-

Victoria ran away as she left a footprint in the mud. Behind her was hunting party, several dogs, and half a dozen armed men. "Guys, we got something," Charlie announced as the Deputies hurry to him. They gather around to see the footprint. The dogs starter pulling them in a certain direction. As the posse takes off at a sprint, Victoria jogged up to her mate and Laurent. They waited atop of a knoll, watching them.

"They took the bait," Victoria told him. "By tomorrow they'll be halfway to Winnipeg," James added. Victoria lasciviously grabs James' shirt and pulls him to her. "I love when men chase me," She smirked. He grinned, then starts taking off her clothes.

They pull each other toward the woods with carnal lust. It barely registers with Laurent, who continues to watch the posse with concern.

-𝗞𝗶𝗮𝗿𝗮'𝘀 𝗣𝗼𝘃-

Bella and I hurried toward the entrance, Bella trying to keep the joy on her face in check

Bella and I hurried toward the entrance, Bella trying to keep the joy on her face in check. with minimal success. Outside the door, we passed Mike, hanging out with several of his basketball teammates. "Yo, Arizona. So. You and Cullen," He turns to Bella. "I don't like it." "You're dating Jessica," I told him before pushing his face. Bella shrugs, non-committal, but can't entirely hide a smile, as we hurried inside to Charlie and My family's table and slid in.

"Sorry I'm late. Biology project," Bella replied. "With Jasper," I added. Leo looks at me, suspicious. Cora sets plates of top sirloin steak in front of Charlie and my family, and plate of seafood in front of Bella. "Ordered you the steak," Dad replied. "Ordered you the seafood combo," Charlie replied

"Order one for yourself next time," Bella retorted to Charlie. "You should cut back on the steak. You guys too" "I'm healthy as a horse," Dad and I told her. "Say Chief, boys want to know, you find anything down by Queets River today?" Cora asked, concerned. Charlie's aware of the loggers at the counter listening, too. He framed his answer carefully to keep everyone calm. "The suspect's moving east," Charlie replied.

"Kitsap County Sheriff is taking over from here. They're putting extra guys on." "Hope they catch him fast," Cora sighed as she moved off, with a measure of relief. Charlie and Bella pass each other the salt, butter for bread, etc., with an easy rhythm now.

"Your friends are flagging you," Dad told us as we turned to see Mike and the guys horsing around outside, straws in their noses, making faces at us. Bella smiles. Leo and Aissa act like they're not there. Mom just looks at them, oddly. I look down. Kicking Leo under the table. Making him look at me. I giggled as he gave me a weird face. Making fun of Mike. "It's okay if you wanna join them. I'm just gonna turn in early anyway," Charlie told us.

"Yeah, me, too," Bella agreed. "It's a Friday night. Go out. The Newton boy's got a big smile for you," Charlie tried to set them up. "Nice family, the Newtons." "He's just a friend," Bella told him. I snickered as I ate. Leo still making weird faces. Aissa is now laughing lightly.