4

-𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝗱 𝗣𝗼𝘃-

A man's ragged, frightened breath filled the air as he ran. Terror filled his face, sweat dripping, breathing in short gasps, he ran, trying desperately not to make a sound. He's crouched in a dark corner. But then he saw a shadow move blindingly fast past him. He jerks around, then another shadow flew past, too fast to follow. He bolts. He ran up a flight of stairs, harsh lights from the exterior of the mill striating him. He moved as fast as humanly possible.

Someone or something charged after him at an inhuman speed through the maze of pillars and walkways. They dodged skull-crushing beams, leaped from one floor up to the next, up ladders, scaffolding, beams, up, and up, getting closer and closer to the security guard.

He desperately runs for his life, looking over his shoulder with terror. The person was closing in on him, but then he bolts out a door and burst out onto a stair landing. He loses his footing and trips, breaking through the rail and pitching over the side, into the air, and stops, hovering mid-air, a yard from the landing. A hand grips his shirt then yanks him out of the air and with incredible strength.

His guttural scream was choked short as blood sprays on the landing.

-𝗞𝗶𝗮𝗿𝗮'𝘀 𝗣𝗼𝘃-

The waitress places a sirloin steak was set in front of Charlie, Dad, and Mom as Bella, Aissa, Leo, and I slid in

The waitress places a sirloin steak was set in front of Charlie, Dad, and Mom as Bella, Aissa, Leo, and I slid in. Cora beams at Bella as she sets a plate of cod in front of her, and Steaks in front of us. Several loggers at the counter offer Bella and us welcoming smiles. But, Bella shrinks in her seat at the attention. Her Dad was oblivious. "Can't get over how grown up you are. And so gorgeous, and you guys are just gorgeous" Cora smiled at us.

Bella glances at Dad, who keeps his eyes on his steak. A bearded, hippy logger, appears behind Cora, leaning over her shoulder to look at Bella. "Member me, honey? I was Santa one year," he asked. I was freaked out.

"Waylon, she hasn't had a Christmas here since she was four," Charlie told him. "Bet I made an impression, though," Waylon replied. "You always do," Charlie agreed. "Let the girls eat their cod. And let the family eat their steaks, Waylon," Cora told him as she turns to us. "When you're done, I'll bring your favorite - berry cobbler. Remember? Your dad still has it. Every Thursday." "That'd be great, thank you," I thanked her as Bella couldn't remember if her life depends on it.

Cora shoos Waylon away. Left alone now, Charlie and Bella both reach for the salt and knock hands. Charlie goes for the ketchup instead. We ate in silence as we heard a burst of laughter from a nearby happy family only serves to emphasize our discomfort.

Leo tries to bridge the gap. "So how was work? Ms. Kiburi" Leo asked. Cutting his steak. "It was great Leo. I met the other doctor. Dr. Cullen" mom told us. The last name made me stop. Bella saw that. "So... you eat here every night?" Bella asked. "Easier than washing dishes," Dad replied. "I can cook," she replied. He looks up as if confused by the concept. "I do the cooking at home, in Phoenix," Bella explained. "Mom's not great in the kitchen."

"I remember...," Dad added as they all laughed, recalling an especially bad dinner. "How was school? Meet anyone?" Dad asked. "A few people...," Bella replied. "Do you know the Cullen family?" "Are people talking about them again?" Charlie looked at us.

"No... well, a little," Aissa replied. "Just 'cause they're newcomers. We're lucky to have a surgeon like Dr. Cullen at our podunk hospital and you as a nurse Ms. Kiburi. Luckily his wife wanted to live in a small town. Lucky his kids aren't like a lot of the hell-raisers around here," Charlie told us. ".....Okay," Bella nodded her head. "I just don't like narrow-mindedness," Charlie continued as he returned to his food.

Silence.

-𝗗𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗺-

I was holding Jasper's hand as we stood in the sunlight. When the sunlight hit our skin, we sparkled. I turned into a lion. But I'm still sparkling. I was looking up at him as Jasper places his fingers on my cheek, leaning in for a kiss. On my head.

-Dream ends-

I gasped as I sat up in bed

I gasped as I sat up in bed. I swore Jasper in my room as I turned to switch the light on. When I looked back, I saw no one there. I was confused, not only by my dream, by thinking Jasper was here in my room.

 I was confused, not only by my dream, by thinking Jasper was here in my room