-𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗡𝗲𝘅𝘁 𝗗𝗮𝘆-

I was sitting in the driver's seat, reading

I was sitting in the driver's seat, reading. Bella and Edward were washing the truck. Aissa and Leo. Mostly Leo. Was watching me through their window. Jasper kissed my cheek, startling me as I glared at him. I tried not to growl. He smiled as he pulled me into his arms. Edward jumped on top of the roof. "Can you act like a human?" Bella asked. "We have neighbors." "Come to our house tomorrow," Edward asked us.

Bella looks up, aiming the hose badly as water ricochets off the cab and sprays in her face. "Nice one, Bella," I joked as Jasper twirled me in his arms. Edward jumps down from the roof. "You house? With your family?" Bella asked him. Edward wiped down the dented front fender, then reached under it and, with his bare hands, easily pops the large sent out of the truck's body.

Bella was too flustered to register it. "But... what if they don't like us?" I asked. "You're worried, not because you'll be in a houseful of vampires, but because you think they won't approve of you?" Jasper asked me. "I'm glad I amuse you," I answered. But then Jasper's laughter dies, as he and Edward heard something. "What is it?" Bella asked. "A complication," Edward replied as a black car came into view, and pulls up.

My family start walking over. "I'll pick you up tomorrow," Jasper told me. "Leave your window open." He whispers the last part. They head to Edward's car, eying the passengers in the black car. Jacob was there, with his father, Billy, who's expression was intense.

Edward locks eyes with Billy. Jacob looked questioningly at his father. Bella and I watched Jasper and Edward drive away, perturbed by the exchange. Bella forced a smile and went to greet the visitors. Jacob sets up Billy's wheelchair and Billy climbs into it. My family stand next to me. "Come to visit your truck?" Bella asked. "Looks good. You got that dent out," Jacob replied. "Kiara, how's your hand?"

"Still broken," I answered, sadly. "Actually, we came to visit your flat screen," Billy replied. "First Mariners game of the season. Plus Jacob here kept bugging me to see you two again." "Great, Dad. Thanks," Jacob replied, horrified, shooting his father an irritated look, just as the police cruiser pulled up.

Charlie climbed out, holding two six-pack. "Pale Ale," Dad smiled. Looking at Charlie's hands. "Harry Clearwater's homemade fish fry," Billy held up the bag in his hands. Charlie smiled, pleased. He pushed Billy in as we all head inside. "Any luck with the Waylon case?" Billy asked. "Found a footprint out at the crime scene today. A bare, human footprint," Dad replied. Billy seems disturbed but not surprised. Bella was horrified.

"A person did that?" She asked. "A crazy person, walking around barefoot this time of year," Jacob added. "Spread the word out at the rez, will ya? Keep the kids out of the woods," Charlie asked. "Will do," Billy agreed as he looked at Bella and I. "Don't want no one else getting hurt."

Bella looked away from Billy, unnerved. Me and my family shared a look.

-𝗟𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗡𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁-