Chapter 31 (@renneiscent)

"You mean the hard drive Mark let us alone with when he left the room?" Jake holds up a black, square object. "This one?"

"You switched it?"

Jake grins. "Of course. Now we just have to check if he told the truth for once and really put the evidence we need on here. Or if this is just another trap."

While on the way we are heading to a safe place, Jake is making himself busy by trying to decipher the secret code which attached inside the flash drive. Of course Mark isn't that reckless to let anyone easily access the whatever private information he put in there. Since Jake is being so focused with what he is doing, I'm making myself busy by trying to reach Christopher. But no answer at all, I'm in between anxious and worried with whatever the thing that makes Christopher didn't pick up my call.

I'm staring at the window as I'm trying to process what just happened tonight. The deal we are supposed to do with either FBI or Mark, Kyle's decision to save his sister, the evidence on our hand, and also... the actual relationship among these three. I take a glance to the Kyle and Jake in front of me; Kyle's gaze is fixated on the dark road with trees everywhere, I still don't know where we are heading but I don't bother to ask. Meanwhile Jake is still in hyper focus state with some green codes are popping out on his screen. I don't want to obstruct his concentration so I just remain silence.

Everything suddenly looks so complicated and I'm actually terrified with what will come next. Mainly with the decision that we need to cooperate with Mark, this douchebag, oh my... I wish I took the chance to punch him back then. I regret my decision to not force them to include me in their discussion. I need to know what they talked about back then, no... it's more like perhaps I'm scared to hear the possibility that Mark offers something to Jake or Jake is hiding something from me again. I still want to hear about his explanation—his real explanation about everything.

It's not like I want to push him though, but to find out that your partner has adoptive brother who is a cyber-criminal and happening to be your main goal to take him down. What comes next? An invisible flying unicorn as government's spy or something? I didn't even realize that I keep staring at Jake's back in front seat until he called me and look at me toward the rear-view mirror.

"You okay?" His eyes are colored by concern. How am I supposed to do when that ocean wave is trying to absorb me to drown there despite the fact there is not so much light around us but I still managed to be amused with his eyes.

I nod and give him my sincere smile. I really want to discuss about everything but I don't know where I should start with.

"Christopher still out of reach?" Jake inquires.

"Yeah, I don't know what's happening. Maybe he is sleeping or busy with something else. I will try to reach him again later." I explain.

"Try to rest a bit, okay? We still have time. I will wake you up when we are arrived." His eyes then shifting to the screen, trying to decipher the code back. It seems like he is working so hard to solve whatever Mark put inside the drive.

"Before that," Kyle finally speaks. "What should we do next actually? Did you two know what Mark plan already?"

My body stiffened up, I'm not sure what should we say to Kyle. I take a glance to Jake and he didn't seem bothered while still busy with his laptop. "We will explain it later, Kyle. My hands are kind of full here."

"MC, since you are still awake..."

"She needs rest, Kyle. Let her be." Jake immediately cut Kyle without letting me speak for myself.

I realized about my words back then, about my words that saying I will take whatever it is to make Jake's free, to make him taste the freedom, no matter what kind of decision I will choose. But facing Kyle right now who is asking for the next plan, Christopher who has done so much, and so did James. I suddenly feel puzzled and don't know what to do.

I need to untwine these tangled yarns in front of me first and think everything clearly.

"Have you two ever heard about cross-examination in trial?" I lean on the passenger seat while my eyes are staring at the window; watching the sky outside is still dark with the trees are surrounding as if they accompany us while roaming deeper.

I didn't even need to glance because I know that both of Kyle and Jake are trying to look at me through the rear-view mirror right now. "Basically it's how both parties from lawyer or prosecutor have opportunity to question the witness so they can get the information either it's helpful or it makes to doubt the witness's testimony."

"What are you talking about, MC?" Kyle sounds impatient.

My eyes are moving from the window to stare their eyes deeply. "Level with me, misters. No more secrets or covert information that you two trying to hide it from me or something. I'm the mixed of weary, anxious, confused, and so many things inside my head right now. When we arrived, I want you two to cooperate and answer my question."

I need to know if both of them are stating facts or even I need to cross check if there is a lie which slipped and I didn't even realize.