Chapter 8 (@layanasstories)

He's still holding my hand "What's wrong?" I ask him because his grip is only getting tighter. In an attempt to reassure him, I lean forward with my elbows on the table, carefully placing my other hand over his. "Everything is wrong." sighing, he lowers his head. He stares at my hands, shifting his so that mine are on top. Then lifting them right up to his lips. He places a soft kiss on the back of my hand. "Without you I would have gone completely crazy." I feel the breath of his whispering words against my hand, making me feel goosebumps crawling all over my body. He does not miss this and that makes the corner of his mouth curl into a smile.

We are both startled when the door swings open with a bang. "Romantic time is over." Agent Michaels stands in the doorway with an annoyed look on his face. "You are free to go Mrs. Davis.". Christopher stands next to him and gives me an approving nod. Jake lets go of my hands so I can stand up. But I sit still for a moment, looking straight into his eyes. "Aghum" Christopher coughs. With a deep sigh I get up, I don't want to leave Jake behind but I have no choice. I walk around the table, put my hand on his shoulder which makes him flinch in pain, I bend over and whisper "We'll make them pay for what they did to you" then I place a kiss on his cheek.

It's been hours since I went with Christopher. He had already read the document several times and assured me that there were no scams. I know him from our college days, same Uni but different majors. He did criminal law to eventually become a lawyer and I, I've tried several things. But in the end I graduated in science in information technology. That's why I had no problems hacking into Hannah's cloud. Christopher and I have always covered each other's backs, the bond we have is like those of siblings. And now I'm in the guest room, where I've slept before, but I don't sleep a wink. I check my phone again, a quarter past four. My mind wanders to the kiss on my hand. To his battered hands. And then the pain in his shoulder, what the hell have they done to him? It makes me angry, I can understand that he is not a good guy to them, but since when is it okay for the government to treat their detainees like this. Fuming, I get out of bed. I'm pacing a little. After getting a glass of water from the kitchen, I crawl back into bed, hoping I'll at least get some sleep.

"Good morning!" Christopher stands in the doorway of the guest bedroom with a cup of coffee in his hand. "Is that for me?" I ask him pointing to the cup. "No way! You can get your own when you finally get out of that bed." he laughs and walks out of the room again. I get out of bed, still stiff from the long night, I stretch a bit and put on my clothes. When I walk into the kitchen for my own cup of coffee, Christopher is already sitting at the table with the document in front of him. "Listen, we'll be going back there in a few and then you can both sign this. I guess it would take like an hour for Jake to get out, after he signed it too. That's our number one priority." he looks at me and takes a sip of his coffee. It feels like he is too confident. "Are you sure?" I stir in my cup, showing my insecurity and nervousness. "Yes, one hundred percent!" a reassuring smile appears on his face.

I had waited in the interrogation room for almost an hour after I signed the document. Christopher went with Agent Wilson to get the document signed by Jake. My nerves did not calm down as time went on. And now that we're outside waiting for Jake to come out, my nerves are only getting worse. I see the door of the building open and Jake steps out. Well steps, he stumbles a little. As soon as he comes closer I see that his eye is battered. "What the - " I let out angrily from my mouth. But before I can do or say anything more, Jake stops me "Don't, please.".