Chapter 7 (@pennyl4ne)

Agent Wilson tries to look unmoved, but I can tell by his clenching jaw that the whole thing is getting on his nerves.

He quickly nods and turns to the door while saying: "I'm gonna bring the papers".

"Would you mind bringing us some coffee too, agent Wilson? It would be very kind of you" adds my lawyer, making me bite the inside of my cheeck, trying not to laugh.

Agent Wilson doesn't answer with words, he only leave out a little grunt while storming out of the room.

I look at Jake, and I see him grinning, clearly amused. It's good to see him smiling, albeit his pale face makes me feel worried about his health.

"By the way, are you two ok? Did they give you something to drink and eat? Do you need any meds?"

"I'm ok Christopher, the coffee will be perfect" I answer. Jake shrugs, as he wants to show me he's ok, but I'm not that blind and neither is my lawyer. "Listen you, I'm MC lawyer, and maybe I'll be yours for awhile, I've known her for a long time, and I can tell she cares about you. So please, make the most of my presence and ask whatever might be helpful for you". Jake looks at him, then at me and sighs, then finally he says: "Well, I really could use a painkiller right now, my hand hurts." He takes a breath and quickly mutter "And I would kill for something to eat too." "Well then, I'll come up with something." says Christopher to him.

The door opens and agent Michaels walks in with a folder and he hands it to Christopher. Right after him walks agent Wilson with three mugs of smoking coffee and he puts them on the table. I clumsily grab one mug, trying not to look too desperate for it. "Would you please remove my clients handcuffs? They're not running anywhere". Agent Michaels sighs but complies.

"Thank you agents, I'll let you know when I'm done reading" Christopher states, opening the folder and starting his task. As they leave the room I and Jake remain looking at each other, occasionally sipping our coffees or glancing at Christopher.

While staring at Jake's eyes, I am almost losing myself into them. They're watery and bloodshot, but still his gaze makes me feel butterflies in my stomach. He reaches out his sane hand towards mine and interwine his fingers with mine, making my heart beat faster. He tighten his lips, thoughtful.

"That guy is nothing like me. He's never had any kind of scruples, and he surrounds himself with people who have no problem making those who try to get in his way disappear." He look down at our hands, then shift his gaze to me, his brow furrowed. "I can't expose you in first person MC, and someone might recognize me" "Recognize you? How is that possible?" I see him flinch for a second, then he answers with a sad voice "He.. He has been a kind of mentor to me. He taught me a lot of things. It was a long time ago."

"And now we know why they're asking you to do this, right?" Christopher emerges from his reading and looks inquisitively at Jake, waiting. "Yes, I guess so. They may think that I know how to frame him"

I'm still processing this little piece of Jake's life, wandering what could have he done with this man, as Jake picks up the thread of his speech "What I was trying to say is that nor me neither you have to do this on-field. The best option for us would be to have agents that go undercover with our support." I look at him, baffled, and turn to Christopher to see his reaction. He is nodding approvingly. "The man has a good point here. It's a wise proposal. So, I'm not finished here, but for now I can say that the papers looks not like a catch. I need to read them again after a good sleep, and you too need to rest. MC, I can get you out of here in a couple of minutes since they have nothing major against you, and since you never tried to hide. For you Jake, I don't think I can arrange an immediate release."

I'm starting to complain but Jake nodds at him and smile at me, caressing my cheeck. " It's ok MC. Go home, rest. We're in this together and we're not going to be separated again, ok?"

My lawyer look at me and tries to reassure me "I'm gonna get him a decent bed, food and painkillers before leaving, don't worry." He stand up and goes knocking on the door. When agent Michaels opens the door he goes out of the room, leaving us alone.