Chapter 17 (@layanasstories)

Jake gestured for us to still be quiet. Because I'm a bit calmer now, I understand that we have to wait for James to return to indicate that everything is safe again. The few minutes it lasted seemed to pass so slowly that my heart rate went up again from the nerves. That's the reason why I am a bit startled when we hear the door above us open and the floor starts to creak again. When the floor creak stops, the basement where we are now becomes lighter, and the hatch in the floor opens. James face appears in the opening he says nothing but puts his finger to his mouth and with the index finger of his other hand he makes a circular gesture in the air. Jake nods and leads me up the stairs.

I don't dare to say anything and look at both men feeling a bit useless, Jake opens his bag and takes out a device then James returns with the same kind of device. I follow Jake around the house to see what he's doing. He takes out a small thing from the closet in the room where we were hiding. As he scans further, both men stop in the living room and put their 'loot' on the dining table. James takes the loot and walks out with it. I dare not say a word until he returns.

"All is clear" James says finally.

I let out a long sigh, I've been holding my breath all this time. "What was all that." I whisper.

"You don't have to whisper anymore." laughs Jake. "Those were nice gadgets from the FBI to eavesdrop on James" he says to answer my question.

I growl a little out of irritation "They stop at nothing to fuck us over.".

"Welcome to my world." he gives me a kiss on my cheek.

After James and Jake assured me that everything is really safe, I went into the bathroom. The warm water from the shower relaxes me and gives me time to think. I don't want to be the fragile doll who needs to be protected all the time. I'm not like that at all, that's why I don't understand why I always get so stressed when things don't go as planned. By the time I turn off the tap, I've kicked myself so much that I'm stepping out of the shower a lot stronger and more confident.

As soon as I get back into the living room, I see James and Jake busily working behind their computers, deep in a discussion.

"What? He's moved again. That man never sits still, does he?" grumbles Jake.

"Knowing you're after him, I wouldn't stay in one place for long either." James smiles back at Jakes grumbling.

"Any idea how James can get in with an excuse?" I ask spontaneously.

Both men look up frowning, absentmindedly.

"What do you mean an excuse?" it's James asking me the question.

"Well, now that Master knows he's being hunted, I expect he will only allow people who are very close to him into his circle. I get that he trusts you, but since Michaels was sent here, it's not blind trust that he has in you, right?" I put my hand on my side and look from one man to the other.

The men look at each other and then back at me. "Damn, that woman of yours has a very good point." I see James cracking his brain.

"Can't we make Michaels pay? Surely the two of you can cobble together something that makes it look like he betrayed Master." I shrug, because in my head it seems very simple. "Then you" I point to James "have a damn good reason to visit Master. And as a bonus, you gain more trust with him".

Jake looks at me in amazement. "Where were you four years ago?"

"You do not want to know." I respond to him with a wink. "But seriously, can you do that?"

"Yes, of course we can. That's how we get in and can break into his network." Jake answers, without looking at me, because the two of them are immediately busy on the computer again.

I sigh obviously hard to get their attention back "Is there anything else I can do?".

Again they look absent-mindedly at me, I see Jake thinking deeply and then comes with "Yes! You can inform your lawyer.".

And that's what I do. Just like Jake had said earlier in the car when he handed me the burner phone. Just tell the basics of what's going on. Christopher was pissed off as expected, but fully understood what he could and couldn't say about our whereabouts to keep the FBI calm. I promised to keep him informed regularly, if that was possible of course.

Two very long hours went by, I would have died brain dead if the boredom lasted a little longer, James made me jump up by a cry of joy he gives. "I've got it! He's going down!"

James has made an entire file of Michael's real and fake activities. Because they are so intertwined you can't tell which is which. Photos, videos, emails and text messages, all gathered to present to Master as evidence against Michaels. I feel a little doubt as I know what will be Michaels' fate, being found lifeless in the gutter. The doubt is quickly gone, when I then look at Jake. His eye may be a little less swollen, but the marks from the blows he's had are still clear. Which stirs up the anger in me again, and wish I could literally stab the dagger in Michael's back myself.

"We have to wait two days before we can take action. Besides that we have the file now. We need all the information from the farm where Master is now. The security is certainly high." Jake starts.