Chapter 26 (@red-writes-stuff)

What is he even talking about? His and Jake's adoptive father? Is it possible that he could be Jake's brother? If that's the case, then Jake lied about everything. That means he lied about meeting him in college and him becoming his father figure. I refuse to believe Jake would lie about any of that and what was he talking about guidance?

"I need your guidance? You want to give ne guidance? Do you actually expect me to believe that after you tried to have us killed?"

"You see, Miss Davis, I don't just try to do anything. If I really wanted you dead, you would be in million little pieces spread all over the country instead of standing here disrespecting me in my own house."

"Alright, I'll play along. If you don't want to kill us, then what do you want?" I cross my arms over my chest and stare at him, waiting for him to continue.

"Things aren't always as they seem. I bet Jake's told you all about how he's one of the good guys, and he was only in it to help people? Did he tell you that he had no clue what I was really doing?" He takes a step closer, so close our faces are inches apart. "I'm not a good person, MC." He backs up a little and leans against the cabinet. "That much is true. That has always been the difference between my dear brother and I. I can admit my wrongdoings and shortcomings, Jake, on the other hand, believes he does no wrong. He will always say it was someone else's fault or that he was tricked into doing the wrong thing. It's the same old lie he's been telling for years. Jake's hands aren't as clean as you think they are."

"Ah, there it is. I see what you're doing, and it's not going to work." I laugh.

He cocks his head to the side and looks at me like he doesn't understand.

"You think if you say all these things, he will show up to defend himself against your accusations. He's smarter than that, and he knows there's no way I would believe you."

"Oh, Ms. Davis, I don't need you to believe me. I have proof. Follow me and I'll show you." He pushes off the counter and motions for me to follow him.

I decide it's best to play along until I can figure out a way to get what I need and get out of here. He pushes through the doors and I follow him out of the kitchen when suddenly I feel something cold and hard bash against my head, knocking me to the ground. My vision is blurry and threatens to close in on me. Mark reaches down and grabs the body cam on the front of my shirt and holds it out in front of his face.

"Jake, you've got five minutes to get in here before I blow her brains out."

"No! Jake! Don't!" I yell out before I lose consciousness.

***

I wake to an excruciating pain in my head and loud voices that sound like they are right beside me, but I struggle to make out what they say. I open my eyes to find myself on a couch in a dark room lit by tons of computer screens that line the walls. This must be the server room. The yelling stops, and Jake rushes over to me.

"Jake?"

"Hey, I'm here. It's ok. Don't try to sit up too fast; we don't want you passing out again." He says, helping me up.

"You're getting soft, Jake!" Mark yells at him. "She's your weakness, and what was it you used to say? Weakness causes mistakes and mistakes get you killed."

"Shut the fuck up, Mark!" Jake yells at him.

"Seems like someone doesn't like to hear their own words used against them." Mark says, causing Jake to shoot him a warning glance. Mark puts his hands up as if to surrender, and he sits down in a chair.

"Is what he said true?"

"I will explain everything to you later, MC. I promise." He says and kisses my forehead.

I pat my pocket. and I'm disappointed to find it empty.

"Looking for this?" Mark says, holding up a flash drive, and I nod. He tosses it at me, and I catch it. "I took the liberty of putting all of the evidence the FBI needs to arrest me on there. If you want, I'll even let you walk right out that door with it. I'm tired of running," he sighs.

I look down at the flash drive and back up at him. "What's the catch?"

"I want you to ask yourself a question. Ask yourself if you can really trust the FBI. They arrest me, then what happens? They let you both go scot-free?"

"We have a signed agreement and lawyer."

"You would be the first person with a signed agreement they screwed over. You could walk out that door and turn me in, and then we'll both end up in jail or dead. Or you could work with me and help bring them down."

"Help you bring down the FBI?" I scoff.

"The kinds of information I have on these people could easily bring down the whole thing. Then, we could all finally be free for good. What do you say?"

I stare at Jake, weighing out the pros and cons of each option in my head. He's right; we can't trust the FBI, but that doesn't mean we can trust him either. I can't help but think of all the people we would be betraying if we switch sides: Kyle, James, Christopher. Everything they've done would be all for nothing if we help him, but if we don't, will he really let us leave with all the evidence? I would give up everything if it meant Jake could finally be free, and we could live a normal life, but I don't see either of these options leading to that. I wish I could just talk to him alone so we can come up with a plan. As if reading my mind, Mark stands up.

"I get it. This is a big decision; you don't want to rush into anything. I'll give you guys a few minutes to discuss it." He walks out the door.